Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-05-25  0:14 Warner Losh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Warner Losh @ 2023-05-25  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

This appeared in my news feed and hacker news.
https://xorvoid.com/sectorc.html

Warner

* [COFF] Re: C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-05-25  0:47 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2023-05-25  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers

One of my mentors, Greg Chesson, would have loved that.  In fact, I have a
lot of friends that will love that.  Thanks for the link.

And if you are a systems guy and need more systems guys, I would hire the
author in a heartbeat.  My kinda guy.

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat

* [COFF] Re: C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-05-25  1:06 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-05-25  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers

This is an outstanding hack.  So creative.  SW bloat is such a problem.
It’s nice to see a minimalistic view — What do I really need to do the job
- ie reminds me of John Mashey’s old “Small is Beautiful” ACM lectures.

Thanks for passing it along.

Clem

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual

* [COFF] Re: C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-05-25  5:26 ` Arno Griffioen via COFF
From: Arno Griffioen via COFF @ 2023-05-25  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers; +Cc: Arno Griffioen

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 06:14:42PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> This appeared in my news feed and hacker news.
> https://xorvoid.com/sectorc.html

Thanks!

I always also loved the obfuscated C contest as you could pick up so much
neat stuff and low-down info from that. Also showed you a lot of the underlying
behaviour in the C language and how compilers would 'fill in the blanks'
in several cases.

As students during my college time we regularly got into friendly
competitions to do the 'shoterst source xyz' or 'fastest' or even some
obscure 'smallest resulting ASM from the compiler'. Fun times..

Longest running one I remember was cramming a fully compiling and running
Conway's 'life' into as little C-source bytes as possible (excluding the
playing field data, but it did have to read that..). I vaguely remember it
getting down to a ridiculous 30-something bytes or so.

Again.. Thanks for the link. Definite reading material for a quiet moment..

							Bye, Arno.

* [COFF] Re: C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-05-25  6:30   ` Lars Brinkhoff
From: Lars Brinkhoff @ 2023-05-25  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers

Clem Cole wrote:
> This is an outstanding hack.  So creative.  SW bloat is such a
> problem.  It’s nice to see a minimalistic view

It's one of the reasons I enjoy vintage software.  You might think old
programs are arcane and difficult.  Not so!  They are actually much
easier to understand than the monstrosities we have today.

* [COFF] Re: C compiler in 512 bytes
@ 2023-09-06 11:29   ` Paul Guertin
From: Paul Guertin @ 2023-09-06 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

I must admit my initial reaction was "Why is everyone so
excited about this? A subset-of-C compiler in 512 lines is
a nice exercise but nothing really spec...

Wait, _bytes_?"

A beautiful hack indeed, and nicely written up as well.

P.

Dixit Clem Cole (2023-05-24 21:06):