Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Knuth
@ 2020-08-03  0:50 paul.allan.palmer
From: paul.allan.palmer @ 2020-08-03  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice article

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/science/donald-knuth-computers-algorithms-programming.html

Near the end, in the picture labelled "a few notes" you can see the corner
of what looks like a calculator. Can anybody identify it?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] Knuth
@ 2020-08-03  1:02 ` crossd
From: crossd @ 2020-08-03  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Interesting article.

I don't believe that's a calculator. Rather, it looks like a normal, if
slightly grotty, keyboard.

        - Dan C.

@ 2020-08-03  1:32   ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2020-08-03  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/02/20 21:02, Dan Cross wrote:
> Interesting article.
>
> I don't believe that's a calculator. Rather, it looks like a normal,
> if slightly grotty, keyboard.
It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys around.  (A
larger image is here:
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2018/12/18/science/18SCI-KNUTH3/merlin_148127301_135dcdcd-2f22-47d1-a749-1b0d997864e5-articleLarge.jpg)

N.

@ 2020-08-03  1:58     ` ats
From: ats @ 2020-08-03  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com> writes:

> It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys around.

It's one of the Logitech gaming keyboards - a G19 or something like
that. The extra keys can be programmed with macros.

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>

* [COFF] Knuth
@ 2020-08-03  5:21     ` thomas.paulsen
From: thomas.paulsen @ 2020-08-03  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-08-03 13:25       ` clemc
From: clemc @ 2020-08-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org> wrote:

> Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys around.
>
> It's one of the Logitech gaming keyboards - a G19 or something like
> that. The extra keys can be programmed with macros.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Gaming-Keyboard-Display/dp/B001NXDBI6

Indeed, looks like a match.

@ 2020-08-03 13:51         ` crossd
From: crossd @ 2020-08-03 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow. An $800 keyboard! And I thought I was driving the McLaren of keyboards
with my Kinesis Advantage2, a mere $360 device (mine has the dual
Dvorak/QWERTY layout because I keep telling myself that someday I'll learn
Dvorak to save what's left of my poor wrists...).

My guess was a Logitech G110: similar layout, but rather less expensive.

I just realized I sent my reply about that directly to Nemo and forgot to
Cc the list.

      - Dan C.

@ 2020-08-03 16:06         ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2020-08-03 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/03/20 09:25, Clem Cole wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org
> <mailto:ats at offog.org>> wrote:
>
>     Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com <mailto:cym224 at gmail.com>> writes:
>
>     > It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys around.
>
>     It's one of the Logitech gaming keyboards - a G19 or something like
>     that. The extra keys can be programmed with macros.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Gaming-Keyboard-Display/dp/B001NXDBI6
>

> Indeed, looks like a match.

This begs the question: What is Knuth doing with a gaming keyboard? (Did
he miss his Sail Buckey-bits?)

N.

* [COFF] Knuth
@ 2020-08-03 17:13           ` crossd
From: crossd @ 2020-08-03 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/03/20 09:25, Clem Cole wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org
> > <mailto:ats at offog.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com <mailto:cym224 at gmail.com>> writes:
> >
> >     > It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys
> around.
> >
> >     It's one of the Logitech gaming keyboards - a G19 or something like
> >     that. The extra keys can be programmed with macros.
> >

> https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Gaming-Keyboard-Display/dp/B001NXDBI6
> >
> > Indeed, looks like a match.
>
> This begs the question: What is Knuth doing with a gaming keyboard? (Did
> he miss his Sail Buckey-bits?)

I'll bet the "gaming" aspect is immaterial to him and it's just a proxy for
"a high quality keyboard". For many years now, his stated life's goal has
been to "finish" TAOCP, which I imagine requires a _lot_ of typing on a
daily basis. It's no secret that most consumer keyboards are garbage, so I
imagine he opts for the higher-end models that are common among gamers
simply for the better ergonomics and usability.

This has personal resonance for me: I was having really serious problems
with RSI (it was sufficiently uncomfortable that it woke me up at night
sometimes) that are greatly attenuated since I invested in a Kinesis
keyboard and an Evoluent Vertical Mouse. It took about a week to feel
comfortable with the keyboard (and it's unique layout actually improved my
typing considerably, so that when I use a "normal" keyboard, such as on my
laptop, I'm both faster and make fewer mistakes). When I was in the US
Marine Corps, an infantryman once told me that a US$200 pair of boots
wasn't just an expensive pair of boots, but an investment in one's feet. I
view the HCI equipment of one's computer setup similarly: Excellent
displays, keyboards and mice are investments in one's ability to work
comfortably and productively.

        - Dan C.

@ 2020-08-03 17:32             ` gtaylor
From: gtaylor @ 2020-08-03 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/3/20 11:13 AM, Dan Cross wrote:
> When I was in the US Marine Corps, an infantryman once told me that
> a US$200 pair of boots wasn't just an expensive pair of boots, but
> an investment in one's feet.

A friend of mine said something similar when he spent personal money to
put an SSD into his work notebook computer years ago.

"It was an investment in myself.  I spend 8-12 hours 5 (or more) days a
week on my work notebook.  So I spent ~150 to make my life better."

I ended up doing similar within a couple of months.

It was definitely worth it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die