Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Views of the future from 1970?
@ 2020-10-25 14:06 finnoleary
From: finnoleary @ 2020-10-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey all, I was browsing my small corner of the fediverse, when I came
across a post that said:

> @pastelpunkbandit at hellsite.site
> i wonder if people from the 70s would make fun of us for still using vi

It got me wondering -- what /was/ the view of the future of computing,
by people working deeply with the systems of the time? I know that
people worked on what they felt was the future -- and returned bearing
the gifts of Smalltalk. Prolog, etc ad nausem. Surely there was the
expectation that things would be improved, but what form did those
expectations take?

Incidentally, if there /were/ jokes about people using $program in the
future -- I think that would be of interest too :)

Thanks!

--
"Too enough never much is!"

* [COFF] Views of the future from 1970?
@ 2020-10-26  2:39 rudi.j.blom
From: rudi.j.blom @ 2020-10-26  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just watched this the other day.

The original story is from 1958 written by Isaac Asimov, the short
movie was made in 1978

All the Troubles of the World
https://youtu.be/svIXTDeZzDg