Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Arthur Krewat <krewat@kilonet.net>
To: coff@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [COFF] TOPS-10 question
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 17:42:02 -0400	[thread overview]

There's probably an easier way, but the hacker in me used to do this on
TOPS-10 6.0 and up, because of subdirectory support (IIRC). Earlier than
6, it was just *,*

dir <structure>:[*,*,*,*,*,*,*]filename.ext

First two *'s are P,Pn, the next 5 are up to 5 nested subdirectories. Of
course, wildcards can be used on the filename.ext, but not leading *'s.

SYSSTAT will list "System File Structures". Use those as the <structure>
above for an exhaustive search. I'm not sure DIRECT can search multiple
structures, I think if you did DSKB:,DSKC:[*,*] it would only search
DSKC: for [*,*]. For DSKB, it would only show your current P,Pn on that
structure. (Unless you used SETSRC to change the search path... I think).

As for why it's trying to continually back up AVAIL.SYS, nothing comes
to mind.

ak