Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Music!
@ 2023-02-10  0:37 Mike Markowski
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mike Markowski @ 2023-02-10  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

This is far afield even for COFF, so apologies up front.  Machines and
OSes we fondly remember get older day by day.  But many labs I worked in
during undergrad & grad years and then in the workforce always had a
radio going, and music never seems to age.  When I hear Earth, Wind &
Fire's "September" or Doobie Brothers' "What a Fool Believes," it's
RSTS/E on a PDP11/70 as a teen, my first exposure to computers.
Kraftwerk and Big Audio Dynamite mean Unix with Mike Muuss at Ballistic
Research Lab in the early 90s.  I had PX (military Post Exchange)
privileges which Mike used to the fullest to buy fantastic lab
speakers.  The old ENIAC room, our work space, had thick walls.  :-)

I wonder if particular music transports any others back to computing
days of old.  The current lab I'm in receives exactly 1 radio station
from a local high school and streaming is blocked. Not sure that any new
musical memories will be formed for my ever nearer days of retirement!

Musically yours,
Mike Markowski