Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
@ 2019-12-06 17:33 jnc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jnc @ 2019-12-06 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    >> PARC's MAXC appears in the mid-1970s.

    > Maybe this is a good time to ask if anyone knows whether any of those
    > diverse systems has software preserved? Specifically, the
    > implementation of the NCP and 1822 Host-to-IMP protocols?

Both MAXC's were PDP-10 re-implementations, and ran TENEX. So the basic
system is still around, not sure if they had any interesting local hacks
(well, probably PUP support; MIT tried to put it in MIT-XX, so it may
still exist on thats backup tapes).

    > From: Rob Gingell gingell at computer.org

    > A collection of maps of the ARPAnet over time is available from the
    > Computer History Museum

Interesting; I also have a large collection of maps:

  http://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/arpanet.html#Maps

all with hi-res versions (click on the thumbnails). Some of the ones
at the CHM I don't have, but the coverage time-wise is similar.

I also have a modest collection of hosts.txt files, ranging from
Jul-77 to Apr-94.

    > I've forgotten at this point whether the assignments were documented in
    > RFCs or other assigned numbers documents from the Network Information Center

The first 'Assigned numbers' RFC was #739, from November 1977. It never
contained host addresses. There were a very few early RFC's which contained
host adresses (#226, #229, #236), but pretty quickly host addresses were done
via the hosts.txt file, distributed from the NIC. (Given the churn rate, using
RFC's didn't make sense.) Early RFCs about this are #606 and #627.  There were
a bunch of RFC's that reported on 'host status' (e.g. how their software was
doing), but their goal was different.

PS: A number of people are leaving out the definite article before 'ARPANET';
this seems to be popular these days (especially in the UK it seems, not sure
why), but it is incorrect.

Also, the correct spelling is all capitals (check e.g. through old RFCs).
Until of course the AP gets their hands on it (I'm breathlessly awaiting
their announcement that the U.S. President's reference is to be referred
to as the 'white house').

	Noel

* [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
@ 2021-12-04 20:29 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-12-04 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

The ARPAnet reached four nodes on this day in 1969; at least one "history"
site reckoned the third node was connected in 1977 (and I'm still waiting
for a reply to my correction).  Well, I can believe that perhaps there
were only three left by then...

According to my notes, the nodes were UCSB, UCLA, SRI, and Utah.

-- Dave

* [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
@ 2020-12-10  8:12 rudi.j.blom
From: rudi.j.blom @ 2020-12-10  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like a challenge although it wasn't really much of it. A simple arpa
imp in yahoo spilled the beans :-)

"The Interface Message Processor (IMP) was the packet switching node
used to interconnect participant networks to the ARPANET from the late
1960s to 1989. It was the first generation of gateways, which are
known today as routers.[1][2][3] An IMP was a ruggedized Honeywell
DDP-516 minicomputer with special-purpose interfaces and software.[4]
In later years the IMPs were made from the non-ruggedized Honeywell
316 which could handle two-thirds of the communication traffic at
approximately one-half the cost.[5] An IMP requires the connection to
a host computer via a special bit-serial interface, defined in BBN
Report 1822. The IMP software and the ARPA network communications
protocol running on the IMPs was discussed in RFC 1, the first of a
series of standardization documents published by the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

Cheers,
uncle rubl

From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>
To: Computer Old Farts Followers <coff at tuhs.org>
Bcc:
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2020 13:41:11 +1100 (EST)
Subject: Re: [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
On Sat, 5 Dec 2020, Noel Chiappa wrote:

> The ARPAnet reached four nodes on this day in 1969 .. the nodes were > UCSB, UCLA, SRI, and Utah.

Yeah; see the first map here:

 http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/arpageo.html

Yep; I know that first map well :-)  For the newbies here, the ARPAnet
was the predecessor of the Internet (no, it didn't spring from the
brow of Zeus, nor Billy Gates), and what we now call "routers" were
then IMPs (look it up).

Missing maps gratefully received!

Indeed; history needs to be kept alive, lest it die.

-- Dave

* [COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes
@ 2020-12-05 23:14 jnc
From: jnc @ 2020-12-05 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2020-12-04 21:05 dave
From: dave @ 2020-12-04 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2019-12-05  0:08 dave
From: dave @ 2019-12-05  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The ARPAnet reached four nodes on this day in 1969 (anyone know their names?);
at least one "history" site reckoned the third node was connected in 1977 (and
I'm still waiting for a reply to my correction).  Well, I can believe that
perhaps there were only three left by then...

Hmmm...  According to my notes, the nodes were UCSB, UCLA, SRI, and Utah.

-- Dave