Computer Old Farts Forum
From: Jim Carpenter <jim@deitygraveyard.com>
Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [COFF] Happy birthday, the Internet!
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 18:57:54 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 5:21 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:

> Born on this day in 1969 with the publication of RFC-1 "Host Software" by
> Steve Crocker, it basically specified the ARPAnet and the IMPs.

That website is wrong. Saying the Internet's birthday is when RFC-1
came out is like saying a child's birthday is when mom's water broke.
It was getting close but it was not born yet.

I'll celebrate October 29, which is when the first data went over the
Arpanet. But even that isn't really correct, as the Internet is a
network of networks and Arpanet was all alone.

Jim