On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 9:57 AM Clem Cole wrote: > below.... [excellent job -- you wrote what I had planned -- few > tweeks/color added below]. > > On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:31 PM Win Treese wrote: > >> Scribe was in the mix after troff and TeX. > > Fun fact, I believe that bwk was Brian's thesis committee > > >> Brian Reid’s observation was that writers should be writing, and >> publishing professionals should design how documents look. > > >> Many of us who wrote articles for the Bell System Technical Journal would disagree. The BSTJ publishers could transform something that made sense when viewed as troff output into unintelligible gibberish. You cannot split a UNIX command line into multiple lines just because it "looks better". Sometimes format really matters.