Ted observed: I always thought the implementation of /bin/true, which was a shell script where the license statement proclaiming AT&T's copyright was longer than the "exit 0" line, was both incredibly funny, and incredibly sad. It's been a long time since I looked at the AT&T source, but I recall that the version number was pushing 2 digits. It's hard to get it "wrong" on the first try (although I could possibly do it). More likely, the version numbers reflected changes to the licensing wording. -- jpl On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 1:38 PM Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote: > On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 10:50:07AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote: > > > > Ted -- yes, your generation put a >>name<< to the behavior, which is a > > wonderful thing and something you can be proud. But the behavior of > openly > > sharing your work product with the community long predates, Linux, the > > wider Internet, *et al. * It is sad a minimum, if not downright > > disingenuous to say "open source" was created at that point. > > No one said that "open source" was created at that point. The perl, > BSD, FSF's emacs, gcc, and other software published under the GPL all > predated the definition of the **term** "Open Source". > > However, I strongly contest the claim that Unix was "Open Source". > Unix was the UNPUBLISHED TRADE SECRET of AT&T, and students exposed to > Unix source code became contaminated with AT&T's "methods and > concepts" clause. So they couldn't even *reimplement* Unix without > potentially getting sued by AT&T. > > I always thought the implementation of /bin/true, which was a shell > script where the license statement proclaiming AT&T's copyright was > longer than the "exit 0" line, was both incredibly funny, and > incredibly sad. > > Cheers, > > - Ted > _______________________________________________ > COFF mailing list > COFF@minnie.tuhs.org > https://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/coff >