Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: Unix game origins - stories similar to Crowther's Adventure
       [not found]   ` <9rlsK1lcp2ffNj2lkBadLwVDPzGlSjgLbwwByJXMv4FDhSsmezMSUlcXw4jZjc0rM8XtULgrAv6I2g-nurUzaS_fZicDHORQVLSU0fzEydY=@protonmail.com>
@ 2023-02-01 19:02     ` Clem Cole
       [not found]     ` <CAFH29tpp+kxcCTkFykuUW+dtcU=na8btAMmFCaLk=O8VA_GV-A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Clem Cole @ 2023-02-01 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: segaloco, Henry Bent, Computer Old Farts Followers

Switching to COFF

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 1:33 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:

> In the annals of UNIX gaming, have there ever been notable games that have
> operated as multiple processes, perhaps using formal IPC or even just pipes
> or shared files for communication between separate processes (games with
> networking notwithstanding)?

Yes - there were a number of them. Both for UNIX and other wise.  Some
spanned the Arpanet back in the day on the PDP-10's. There was  an early
first person shooter games that I remember that ran on the PDP-10s on
ADM3As and VT52 that worked that way.   You flew into space and fought each
other.

CMU's (Steve Rubin's) Trip was stand alone program - sort of the
grand-daddy of the Star Trek games. It ran on a GDP2 (Triple-Drip Graphics
Wonder) and had dedicated 11/20. It was multiple processes to do
everything. You were at the Captions chair of the Enterprise looking out
into space. You had various mission and at some point would bee to
reprovision - which meant you had to dock at the 2001 space
station including timing your rotation to line up with docking bay like in
the movie.      When you beat an alien ship you got a bottle of coke - all
of which collected in row on the bottom of the screen.

I did manage to save the (BLISS-11) sources to it a few years ago.    One
of my dreams is to try to write GDP simulator for SIMH and see if we can
bring it back to life. A big issue as Rob knows is the GDPs had an amazing
keyboard so duplicating it will take some thinking with modern HW; but HW
has caught up such that I think it might be possible to emulate it.   SIMH
works really well with a number of the other Graphics systems and with my
modem system like my current Mac and its graphics HW, there might be a
chance.

One of my other favorites was one that ran on the Xerox Alto's who's name I
don't remember, where you wandered around the Xerox 3M ethernet.  People
would enter your system and appear on your system.  IIRC Byte Magazine did
an article that talked about it at one point -- this was all pre-Apple Macs
- but I remember they had pictures of people playing it that I think they
took at Stanford.   IIRC Shortly after the X-Terminals appeared somebody
tried to duplicate it, or maybe that was with the Bilts but it was not
quite as good as those of us that had access to real Xerox Altos.
ᐧ

@ 2023-02-01 19:16       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2023-02-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Salz; +Cc: segaloco, COFF

[TUHS to Bcc]

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 2:11 PM Rich Salz <rich.salz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 1:33 PM segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org> wrote:
>> In the annals of UNIX gaming, have there ever been notable games that have operated as multiple processes, perhaps using formal IPC or even just pipes or shared files for communication between separate processes (games with networking notwithstanding)?
>
> https://www.unix.com/man-page/bsd/6/hunt/
> source at http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/unix/4.3bsd/reno/games/hunt/hunt/

Hunt was the one that I thought of immediately. We used to play that
on Suns and VAXen and it could be lively.

There were a number of such games, as Clem mentioned; others I
remember were xtrek, hearts, and various Chess and Go servers.

        - Dan C.

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: Unix game origins - stories similar to Crowther's Adventure
@ 2023-08-05 18:47   ` scj
From: scj @ 2023-08-05 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Cross; +Cc: Douglas McIlroy, COFF

I was responsible for two games on Unix: Ching and GoFish.
Ching was a fortune-telling game: you would type a question or situation
as a text.  The program would hash the text, convert it into yarrow
sticks, and use display the "fortune".  I copied the fortunes from a
book, so I don't think ching actually was ever part of a Unix
distribution because of the copyright.  Some hand-carried versions got
out, though, I think.

The other game I wrote for my son: it played the game "Go Fish".  It was
amazingly hard to win, even for an adult, because it used a simple
card-counting strategy: if the opponent asked for a 6 and I didn't have
one I'd remember that the opponent had a 6, and when I drew one I
immediately asked for it.  A number of my co-workers tried the game out,
and most of them lost badly.  GoFish was distributed, and I actually was
accused in public by someone who was sure the game cheated!

A couple of years ago, a co-worker was showing me a "Unix on a chip"
machine, and I saw that it had the sources for everything.  I looked at
the source for it, which was in C -- one of the first C programs I
wrote.  As I read the code, I discovered a bug: a type mismatch when
calling a function.  It was a bug, but didn't affect the behavior.  The
other thing I noticed was that the program had three GOTO's in it.  I
blushed...

Steve
---

       [not found] <CAKH6PiU1aLmUq585mBMmMmZfpuwSAE3sx-UQoj=dn5-pb-w5DA@mail.gmail.com>