On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 11:23 AM Dave Horsfall wrote: > Has there ever been a full implementation of PL/I? Well all of the IBM, GE/Honeywell and DEC compilers were certified. Bob Freiburghouse (who was part of the Multics compiler if I understand this right), created a firm in Mass that built a number of commercial compilers for a number of folks, with PL/1 being their prime. In fact when DEC bought the PL/1 front-end from them (which was in PL/1 of course), Culter and team wrote the VAX back-end, they had to cross-compile in Cambridge (I think at MIT) and bring the assembler source back to ZKO in Nashua to assemble and test. > It seems akin to solving the halting problem... > No more than Algol-68 and many modern languages. > > Yes, I've used PL/I in my CompSci days, and was told that IBM had > trademarked everything from /I to /C :-) > I think that is more like an urban legend and IBM's notorious marketing behavior since Gary Kidall (who was originally a compiler guy) created PL/M for the 8080 and sold it to Intel. > > -- Dave, who loved PL/360 > Yeah - it might have been Nicklaus Wirth's best language. I still have the Standford manuals, but I can not say I have seen a working compiler since the late 1970s :-) ᐧ