Excellent! ᐧ On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 9:43 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 04:10:03PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote: > > On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 1:00 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > > > > > I think it is part of being really smart, it's a puzzle for them and > they > > > "win" if they can do something clever. I always replied "It is write > once, > > > read many. Optimize for reads". > > > > > Amen to that bro. > > > > As a side note, I will say there is another vector to this same curse. > > It's the new guy coming into the project and deciding what is there is > > crap, they can not understand and they can do a better job. > > Source management to the rescue. I hired an extremely smart guy (he > reads papers on string theory, the physics ones, for fun). Taught him > how to use our tools. Gave him a bug to fix. He looks at the source > file and goes "This is crap, I'm gonna rewrite it so it is clean". > Then remembers I showed him how he could see how the file evolved. > So he looks at the first version of the file. It is *exactly* what he > was going to write. Huh. He starts going through the history. Oh, > this wart is for IRIX. This wart is for windows 2000 that reuses PIDs > right away. This wart is for NFS. Etc. > > In the end, he added another wart to fix the bug and left the file alone. > I did say he was smart. > -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: