Fair enough 👍 ᐧ On Mon, Jun 12, 2023 at 6:50 PM G. Branden Robinson < g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Clem, > > At 2023-06-12T18:39:32-0400, Clem Cole wrote: > > Apologies to TUHS - other than please don't think Fortran did not > > impact UNIX and its peers. We owe that community our jobs, and for > > creating the market in that we all would build systems and eventually > > improve. > > Absolutely. Fortran (77) was the first language this weedhopper learned > after BASIC (which, while much despised by the sorts of people who > update jargon files, _also_ had early support in CSRC Unix). While I > intensely disliked the fixed-source format (a defect Fortran 90 > remedied), I acquired it more easily than C, to the relief of the guys > on my class project team who already knew C and _hated_ Fortran. > > My wisecrack was not meant as a derogation of Fortran in any way, but > rather as a sly (not really) allusion to a word also appearing in your > expansion of the COFF list's name as seen above... > > Best regards to you and to Fortran, and a nod to the copy of > Metcalf/Reid/Cohen on my bookshelf, > Branden >