On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:52 AM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 04:42:53PM +0000, Lars Brinkhoff wrote: > > Clem Cole wrote: > > > I always got the impression that texinfo was more of a shot against > > > man pages and trying to push the purity of the 'ITS-way' to Unix. > > > > ITS had a hypertext documentation system, so my assumtion would be that > > RMS wanted to bring along that to the GNU vision. I don't see that's it > > would be abount purity, whatever that would mean for documentation. > > So you know how when you go into someone else's program to fix a bug and > they have a hideous coding style? Have you ever had someone else fix a > bug in your code and they reformat everything so git blame looks like > they wrote the whole thing? That's rude, right? If you were fixing > the bug in some crappy coding style, you fix it in that crappy coding > style, it's not your style but it is the polite thing to do. > > If we agree on that then we can move on to RMS and texinfo. Providing > texinfo docs for Unix commands is like reformatting the code. It's > rude. The Unix way is man pages for basic usage and a user guide, > usually in -ms. Not doing it that way is trying to change the way > the system works and it's just rude. > > If I were working on ITS and techinfo is how they do their docs, that's > how I'd do docs there, it would be rude to force man pages on system > that doesn't work that way. > Amen bro ... Amen