Computer Old Farts Forum
From: clemc at ccc.com (Clem Cole)
Subject: [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 15:16:22 -0500

> When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked coworkers who have complained
> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
> wife doesn't want me to."

Moved to COFF ... while bearded UNIX folks do seem to be a common thread, I
think we are stretching Warren's patience a tad.   So ... I have sort of a
different story.

I had shaved in off and on during college and in the first few years I was
working but had grown it back before grad school.  I still was not sure I
liked having it, and as I got close to finishing, I mentioned to my
officemates at UCB that I'd shave it when Newton (our advisor) signed my
thesis as a signal to everyone I was done.

So the day I came into the office clean-shaven, Peter Moore looks up and
remarked, 'now I know why you wore one.'

So, I showed up at Masscomp without it and was quickly ostracized as so
many of the SW team had some sort of facial hair, I quickly grew it back.

Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
younger if I shaved it.  But at this point, I kinda like not having to
shave my neck and lower chin every day if I don't want to; so I have
ignored them.