Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
@ 2021-01-18 20:16 clemc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: clemc @ 2021-01-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked coworkers who have complained
> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
> wife doesn't want me to."

Moved to COFF ... while bearded UNIX folks do seem to be a common thread, I
think we are stretching Warren's patience a tad.   So ... I have sort of a
different story.

I had shaved in off and on during college and in the first few years I was
working but had grown it back before grad school.  I still was not sure I
liked having it, and as I got close to finishing, I mentioned to my
officemates at UCB that I'd shave it when Newton (our advisor) signed my
thesis as a signal to everyone I was done.

So the day I came into the office clean-shaven, Peter Moore looks up and
remarked, 'now I know why you wore one.'

So, I showed up at Masscomp without it and was quickly ostracized as so
many of the SW team had some sort of facial hair, I quickly grew it back.

Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
younger if I shaved it.  But at this point, I kinda like not having to
shave my neck and lower chin every day if I don't want to; so I have
ignored them.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
@ 2021-01-18 21:13 ` crossd
From: crossd @ 2021-01-18 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 3:17 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> When I met my future wife I was 21, and she wanted me to grow a beard, so
>> I did.  Since then I have occasionally asked coworkers who have complained
>> about shaving why *they* don't grow beards: the most common answer is "My
>> wife doesn't want me to."
>>
> Moved to COFF ... while bearded UNIX folks do seem to be a common thread,
> I think we are stretching Warren's patience a tad.   So ... I have sort
> of a different story.
>
> I had shaved in off and on during college and in the first few years I was
> working but had grown it back before grad school.  I still was not sure I
> liked having it, and as I got close to finishing, I mentioned to my
> officemates at UCB that I'd shave it when Newton (our advisor) signed my
> thesis as a signal to everyone I was done.
>
> So the day I came into the office clean-shaven, Peter Moore looks up and
> remarked, 'now I know why you wore one.'
>
> So, I showed up at Masscomp without it and was quickly ostracized as so
> many of the SW team had some sort of facial hair, I quickly grew it back.
>
> Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
> summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
> Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

When I was in the Marine Corps I shaved nearly every day (the exceptions
were extended leaves back home or occasional extra-long missions in
Afghanistan when we were outside the wire). I once tried the
permitted-but-frowned-upon "low regulation" haircut and didn't like it. I
usually opted for the Navy standard "high regulation" haircut instead of
the super-motivated USMC "high and tight", which I always thought looked
goofy, and is the haircut they give you right before you graduate from boot
camp.

When I got out, I luxuriated in not shaving for weeks at a time because I
could and, frankly, no one would yell at me. When my kids were born, it
became a nuisance I would attend to as time permitted. When my youngest was
born, I was in the habit of shaving biweekly, if that. One time I let it
grow for a couple of months and then abruptly shaved at night; I remember
being nervous that she would not recognize me in the morning, but she saw
that I was clean shaven and actually gave me a big smile and seemed rather
delighted. I was secretly relieved.

That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
> younger if I shaved it.  But at this point, I kinda like not having to
> shave my neck and lower chin every day if I don't want to; so I have
> ignored them.

I still alternate between clean-shaven and not; mostly I prefer
clean-shaven because otherwise I tend to get bumps and generally find it
uncomfortable. At one point when I was young I had hair down to my
shoulders but honestly, I just can't pull off long hair anymore: I keep a
relatively short haircut. I haven't seen the inside of a barber shop since
the start of the pandemic, but I've shaved my head multiple times as I'm
reasonably certain I can do that without completely messing it up, and I
have clippers that will go down to the scalp. It grows back pretty quickly,
so I only look like a conehead for a couple of days; as we used to say in
the Corps, the difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is a
week.

        - Dan C.

@ 2021-01-19  1:32 ` grog
From: grog @ 2021-01-19  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:16:22 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:

> That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
> younger if I shaved it.

Don't believe them.

At linux.conf.au in Dunedin in 2006, Rusty Russell started a
fundraiser for the John Lions chair of computer science at UNSW.  By
way of encouragement, he stated that if there were enough
contributions, he would shave off his moustache.  A number of us
joined in (David Miller, Jeff Waugh and myself, but explicitly not Jon
Hall), and he ended up raising $10,000.  So the next day we were
shaved.  I was horrified: suddenly I looked like the old man that I
was.  The beard had greyed over the years, but it had hidden the
change in my face.  I let the beard grow again, and haven't seen my
chin since.

More at http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-jan2006.php#27

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
From: cym224 @ 2021-01-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/18/21 20:32, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote (in part):
> On Monday, 18 January 2021 at 15:16:22 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
>> That said, 20 years later she and her mother both claim I would look
>> younger if I shaved it.
> Don't believe them.
A colleague of mine has a baby-face.  As a grad student, he wore a beard
to make himself look older.  Years afterwards, he shaved it off to make
himself look younger.

N.

* [COFF] Bearded Fellows (was TUHS)
@ 2021-01-19  2:35 ` robert
From: robert @ 2021-01-19  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021, Clem Cole wrote:

> Roll forward 20ish years and my wife egged me into shaving it off one
> summer weekend.   Our then 5-year-old daughter cried -- she wanted her
> Daddy back.   I've had it ever since.

When my daughter was about 2 and a half I shaved off a beard I'd had for a
while.  She made it clear she was displeased and asked me what happened.
I told her I'd shaved my beard off.  She immediately exclaimed "Shave it
back on again!"

Rob