NFS v4 provides idmapping between client uids/gids and their server equivalents using a config file. On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 9:46 AM Dan Cross wrote: > On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 7:51 AM John Cowan wrote: > > [snip] > > This appears to be a VHS vs. Betamax battle: NFS was not transparent, > but Sun had far more marketing clout. However, the Manchester Connection > required a single uid space (as far as I can tell), which may also have > been a (perceived) institutional barrier. > > So did NFS, for that matter. > > This is one of those areas where Unix appears creaky in comparison to > Plan 9. `ssh` is all about remote access to resources, whereas plan 9 > was all about resource sharing: you'd set up a namespace with all of > the resources (exposed as files from wherever they ultimately came > from) you cared about, and then operate on those "locally"; the > resources were shared with you and access was transparent, via a > consistent, file-based interface. You want to `diff` two remote files? > Import the filesystems they're both on, mount those somewhere, and > `diff /n/host1/file /n/host2/file`. > > I think the `sshfs`+FUSE model that Doug mentioned is about the > closest you're going to get these days. > > - Dan C. > > > - Dan C. >