Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Lynn Conway, RIP
@ 2024-06-12  0:51 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2024-06-12  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

There seems to be some confusion, but I've heard enough sources now
that I believe it to be confirmed. Notably, faculty at UMich EECS have
shared that it was passed to them internally.

RIP Lynn Conway, architect of the VLSI revolution and long-time
transgender activist. She apparently died from heart failure; she was
86. http://www.myhusbandbetty.com/wordPressNEW/2024/06/11/lynn-conway-january-2-1938-june-9-2024/

        - Dan C.

* [COFF] Re: Lynn Conway, RIP
@ 2024-06-12  1:47 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2024-06-12  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

I did not know about the trans part of the story.  Go her.  It's a loss
for all of us.

I can relate to the MOSIS part of the story.  And I think it brings
in John Ousterhout's work on Magic.  We used Magic at Wisconsin where
I and another student laid out, simulated, and had fabbed at MOSIS, a
cache controller.  We did _everything right, we simulated it, it worked,
sent it off to get fabbed, it came back and it did not work.

I looked and looked and looked and what it was?  I did not pull ground
to a pad.  The simulator just assumed that you did that and did not
test for that.

Live and learn.  Mead and Conway were the bible at that point in time.
Much respect to both of them.

--
---
Larry McVoy           Retired to fishing          http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/boat

* [COFF] Re: Lynn Conway, RIP
@ 2024-06-12  2:55   ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2024-06-12  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: COFF

Reading more about her, what a substantial person, I knew that in the
1980's but what a force.