Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Holy Wars of Computing
@ 2021-02-04  8:41 joshnatis0
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: joshnatis0 @ 2021-02-04  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I'm looking to compile a list of historic "wars" in computing, just for
personal interest cause they're fun to read about (I'll also put the list
up online for others' reference).

To explain what I mean, take for example, The Tcl War
<https://vanderburg.org/old_pages/Tcl/war/>. Other examples:
- TCP/IP wars (BBN vs Berkley, story by Kirk McKusick
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEEr6dT-4uQ>)
- The Tanenbaum-Torvalds Debate
<https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/opensources/book/appa.html> (it doesn't
have 'war(s)' in the name but it still counts IMO, could be called The
Microkernel Wars)
- UNIX Wars <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_wars>

Stuff like "vi vs. emacs" counts too I think, though I'm looking more for
historical significance, so maybe "spaces vs. tabs" isn't interesting
enough.

Thanks, any help is appreciated : )
Josh