[moved to COFF] On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 4:16 AM Andy Kosela wrote: > Great initiative and idea! While I am personally not interested in reading > USENET that much nowadays, the concept of providing free, public access to > classic Internet services (public USENET, FTP, IRC, finger, etc.) gets all > my praise. What happened to free, public services these days? First off, what is stopping you from providing free, public access to those services? I don't know where you are, but I have orders of magnitude more access to freely available content and services than I ever did in the heyday of Usenet, etc. And for most of it, one doesn't have to be highly technical to use it. > Everything appears to to be subscriber pay-as-you-go based. The > commercialization killed the free spirit of Internet we all loved in the > 90s. > "Free" was never really true, as it required massive subsidies of equipment, power, bandwidth and employee time, usually w/o the direct knowledge or consent of the entities paying for it. It reminds me of the lemonade stands I'd occasionally run as a kid, which were "profitable" to me because mom and dad, with their knowledge and consent, let me pretend that the costs were $0. -- Nevin ":-)" Liber +1-847-691-1404