Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] [TUHS] The 2038 bug...
       [not found]       ` <d39f9cb6-eaab-6d50-9b63-a1c4583e9d40@gmail.com>
@ 2021-01-08  1:39         ` grog
From: grog @ 2021-01-08  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Redirecting to COFF.  COBOL has really nothing to do with Unix.

On Thursday,  7 January 2021 at 20:25:56 -0500, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
> On 01/07/21 17:56, Stuart Remphrey wrote (in part):
>>> Dave, who's kept his COBOL knowledge a secret in every job
>>
>> Indeed! [...]; but especially COBOL: apart from everything else, too
>> much like writing a novel to get anything done.
>
> As long as we are bashing COBOL, I recall that someone -- name forgotten
> -- wrote a parody that contained statements such as "Verily, let the
> noble variable N be assigned the value known as one".

Heh.  In 1973 I was once required to abandon assembler, the language
of Real Programmers, and write a program in COBOL (in fact, a database
front end to COBOL).  I took revenge in the label names.  From
http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/GOPU

     INVOKE SCHEMA KVDMS COPYING COMMON ALL
           RECORD COMMON DELIVERY-AREA IS PUFFER
           OVERLAY PUFFER WITH ALL
           ERROR RECOVERY IS HELL
           ROLLBACK IS IMPOSSIBLE.
     MAKE-GOPU.  IF ERROR-STATUS IS NOT EQUAL TO '000307', GO TO
           HELL.

Admire that manifest constant.

And yes, this program went into production.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
On Fri, 8 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Heh.  In 1973 I was once required to abandon assembler, the language of
> Real Programmers, and write a program in COBOL (in fact, a database
> front end to COBOL).  I took revenge in the label names.  From
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/GOPU

My favourite COBOL statement is "ADD A TO B GIVING C COMPUTATIONAL ROUNDED".

-- Dave

* [COFF] [TUHS] The 2038 bug...
@ 2021-01-17  1:09             ` lm
From: lm @ 2021-01-17  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:07:14PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
> >Heh.  In 1973 I was once required to abandon assembler, the language of
> >Real Programmers, and write a program in COBOL (in fact, a database front
> >end to COBOL).  I took revenge in the label names.  From
> >http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/GOPU
>
> My favourite COBOL statement is "ADD A TO B GIVING C COMPUTATIONAL ROUNDED".

I am _so_ glad I never had to learn COBOL.  I appreciate terseness, COBOL
is not that.

* [COFF] [TUHS] The 2038 bug...
@ 2021-01-17  1:11               ` imp
From: imp @ 2021-01-17  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021, 6:09 PM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 12:07:14PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > On Fri, 8 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >
> > >Heh.  In 1973 I was once required to abandon assembler, the language of
> > >Real Programmers, and write a program in COBOL (in fact, a database
> front
> > >end to COBOL).  I took revenge in the label names.  From
> > >http://www.lemis.com/grog/src/GOPU
> >
> > My favourite COBOL statement is "ADD A TO B GIVING C COMPUTATIONAL
> ROUNDED".
>
> I am _so_ glad I never had to learn COBOL.  I appreciate terseness, COBOL
> is not that.

Object oriented COBOL never took off because "ADD 1 TO COBOL GIVING COBOL."
didn't roll off the tongue.

Warner