On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: > Warner Losh wrote in > : > |On Sun, Dec 26, 2021, 2:18 PM Theodore Ts'o wrote: > |> On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 12:43:37AM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: > |>> I usually do "scp .* HOST:" whenever i get a HOST account, and > |>> forget about it thereafter. > |> > |> I keep a private git repo on one of my machines, so when I get a HOST > |> account, I run a comand like this: > |> > |> % git clone ssh://tytso@example.com/home/tytso/repos/dotfiles . > | > |I have symlinks to all my files. I also have special hooks that I run per > |os and per host to pull in different configs when needed. Though in > |recent years I've not needed it much. I used to do a lot for work like > |this, but these days work envs are close to my home env, so there is > little > |point. > | > |I've been doing this since RCS days across 5 different SCMs... git makes > |oopses so rare that the paranoia below seems overkill. Though for other > > Oh yes, i could not agree more. I never tried bitkeeper ;), but > even after eleven years of git (~/calendar (symlink) just told me > > 12/24 Beschließe öffentliche Projekte mit GIT zu managen (2010) > > ) i often state "when have i told the last time that git is > magnificent?" when it rebases automatically over long history, > garbage-collects into one big pack (alongside those i want to > .keep unchanged), or selectively distributes branches here and > there. Wording spread they furtherly improved the merge algorithm > just recently. > The first years of git were interesting times to be using it. After that it's been rock solid, especially relative to all the other tools out there. I have something similar to the .local stuff Ted does. In fact, I used to use exactly that pattern. However, I've taken to doing that via symlinks to the host name (so foo.host with multiple ones symlinked to the master if it comes to that). That way I could keep my local changes in version control... One to many client machines crashing and losing stuff in my past... Warner