On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 4:00 PM David Arnold wrote: > > Ironically, around that same time, Word for Windows 2.0 was IMHO the peak > of that product’s functionality, in that while it allowed the user to > randomly apply styling to the text, it was the last version that made the > template facilities an equal first-class citizen in the UI. It was almost > as easy to define and use “semantic” styles for formatting as it was to > just do inline markup. Version 6 (they went from 2 to 6 in one hop) bent > the product firmly towards use by amateurs, with toolbar buttons for > bulleted lists, etc, that hid the underlying use of styles, and thus > avoided users incrementally learning how to do consistent documents. From > my perspective, every release since has made it worse. > > Thank you for saying this. I agree and I thought I was the only person who felt that way. Adam