Computer Old Farts Forum
* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] Book Recommendation
       [not found] ` <CAFH29tomxKDFn-pRBT21-X+m4ugzzn-tuGyY-Cq0hN6i5-=oeQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-11-16 15:53   ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2021-11-16 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

From TUHS (to Doug McIlroy):
"Curious what you think of APL"

I'm sure what Doug thinks of APL is unprintable.  Unless, of course, he has
the special type ball.

<rimshot>

@ 2021-12-06 14:29 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-12-06 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff, tuhs; +Cc: jnc

OK, this is my last _civil_ request to stop email-bombing both lists with
trafic. In the future, I will say publicly _exactly_ what I think - and if
screens still had phosphor, it would probably peel it off.

I can see that there are cases when one might validly want to post to both
lists - e.g. when starting a new discusson. However, one of the two should
_always_ be BCC'd, so that simple use of reply won't generate a copy to
both. I would suggest that one might say something like 'this discussion is
probably best continued on the <foo> list' - which could be seeded by BCCing
the _other_.

Thank you.

      Noel

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS]  Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:22     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-12-06 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clem Cole; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers, Douglas McIlroy

[TUHS to Bcc]

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> Adam - first thank you.  Pleased to know he's still kicking around.
>
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic
>> world of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell
>> of a lot from his works.
>>
> Not true at all.  If you grew up as EE, in the late 1960s/early 1970s it
> was hard to not know about him since he was so prolific.  FWIW, before I
> went to CMU, he was already a hero and I had a number of books from the
> late 1960's.   When I was freshman in the early 1970s, his TTL Cookbook was
> an optional text for the intro to EE course [I already had it but a number
> of my mates had never seen it before].  His CMOS Cookbox was not published
> yet, but when it was, I bought it.

Indeed, still well-known: I have both his TTL and CMOS cookbooks within
easy reach.

        - Dan C.

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] Book Recommendation
@ 2021-12-06 14:11   ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-12-06 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Thornton
  Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society, Computer Old Farts Followers,
	Douglas McIlroy

Adam - first thank you.  Pleased to know he's still kicking around.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM Adam Thornton <athornton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic world
> of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell of a
> lot from his works.

Not true at all.  If you grew up as EE, in the late 1960s/early 1970s it
was hard to not know about him since he was so prolific.  FWIW, before I
went to CMU, he was already a hero and I had a number of books from the
late 1960's.   When I was freshman in the early 1970s, his TTL Cookbook was
an optional text for the intro to EE course [I already had it but a number
of my mates had never seen it before].  His CMOS Cookbox was not published
yet, but when it was, I bought it.

Side story, I want to say about 1969/70, after reading one of his articles
in Radio-Electronics I sent him a (US snail mail) letter asking him for
help in designing an RF interface to a TV.  He replied to me but told me
such a design would be illegal to make as it would run afoul of FCC rules.
I wish I had kept that letter, but he reversed himself a few years later
with his TV Typewriter and Son of Video books.  My guess is he had been
researching the idea for one of the magazines when I contacted him, and
must have gotten a ruling from legal counsel about publishing the same.   I
always wondered what made him change his mind a few years later.  Since he
seems to publish an email, I think I'll have to write him and ask that way
to see if he responds.

Clem

ᐧ

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] Book Recommendation
       [not found] <CAKH6PiWtxq7vwh_WdVtZx9-qqN5aNr+t14eTAJx9-eLWjYF0BQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-12-06  4:25 ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2021-12-06  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas McIlroy, The Eunuchs Hysterical Society,
	Computer Old Farts Followers

Probably time to move this to COFF, but

along the line of Fission for Program Comprehension....

I wonder how many of you don't know about Don Lancaster.

Pioneer in home computing back when that meant something, inventor of a
very low cost 1970s video terminal (the TV Typewriter), tremendously
skilled hacker, brilliant guy.

Also still alive, lives a couple hours away from me in Safford, AZ, and has
been doing fantastic research on Native American hanging canals for the
last couple decades.

Anyway: he wrote a magnificent piece on how to understand a (6502) program
from its disassembly, which reminded me of Gibbons's work:
https://www.tinaja.com/ebooks/tearing_rework.pdf

I don't think Don ever had a lot of crossover with the more academic world
of Unix people, but he's one of my heroes and I have learned a hell of a
lot from his works.

Adam

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] Book Recommendation
       [not found]   ` <CAEdTPBdVnPQMaDX0jOL81EkL1M7Eg=U4qWPwKMsr6SBc2Zz9vw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-11-23 19:40     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2021-11-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: COFF, Mary Ann Horton

[-TUHS, +COFF]

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 at 21:31, Mary Ann Horton <mah@mhorton.net> wrote:
>
>> PL/I was my favorite mainframe programming language my last two years as
>> an undergrad. I liked how it incorporated ideas from FORTRAN, ALGOL, and
>> COBOL. My student job was to enhance a PL/I package for a History
>> professor.
>>

> What language were the PL/I compilers written in?

The only PL/I compiler I have access to is, somewhat ironically, the
Multics PL/1 compiler. It is largely self-hosting; more details can be
found here: https://multicians.org/pl1.html (Note Doug's name appears
prominently.)

Wikipedia claims that IBM is still developing a PL/I compiler, which I
> suppose I have no reason to disbelieve, but I'm very curious as to who is
> using it and for what purpose.

I imagine most of it is legacy code in a mainframe environment, similarly
to COBOL. I can't imagine that many folks are considering new development
in PL/1 other than in retro/hobbyist environments and some mainframe shops
where there's a heavy existing PL/I investment.

        - Dan C.

@ 2021-11-23 15:23     ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-11-23 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henry Bent; +Cc: COFF, Mary Ann Horton

Moving to COFF where this probably belongs because its less UNIX and more
PL oriented.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent@gmail.com> wrote:

> What language were the PL/I compilers written in?

I don't know about anyone else, but the VAX PL/1 front-end was bought by
DEC from Freiburghouse (??SP??) in Framingham, MA. It was written in PL/1
on a Multics system. The Front-end was the same one that Pr1me used
although Pr1me also bought their Fortran, which DEC did not.  [FWIW: The
DEC/Intel Fortran Front-End was written in Pascal -- still is last time I
talked to the compiler folks].

I do not know what the Freiburghouse folks used for a compiler-compiler
(Steve or Doug might ), but >>I think<< it might not have used one.
Culter famously led the new backend for it and had to shuttle tapes from
MIT to ZKO in Nashua during the development.  The backend was written in a
combination of PL/1, BLISS32  and Assembler.  Once the compiler could self
host, everything moved to ZKO.

That compiler originally targeted VMS, but was moved to Unix/VAX at one
point as someone else pointed out.

When the new GEM compilers were about 10-15 years later, I was under the
impressions that the original Freiburghouse/Culter hacked front-end was
reworked to use the GEM backend system, as GEM used BLISS, and C for the
runtimes and a small amount of Assembler as needed for each ISA [And I
believe it continues to be the same from VSI folks today].   GEM based PL/1
was released on Alpha when I was still at DEC, and I believe that it was
released for Itanium a few years later [by Intel under contract to
Compaq/HP].  VSI has built a GEM based Intel*64 and is releasing/has
released VMS for same using it; I would suspect they moved PL/1 over also
[Their target customer is the traditional DEC VMS customer that still has
active applications and wants to run them on modern HW].   I'll have to ask
one of my former coworkers, who at one point was and I still think is, the
main compiler guy at VSI/resident GEM expert.

> Wikipedia claims that IBM is still developing a PL/I compiler, which I
> suppose I have no reason to disbelieve, but I'm very curious as to who is
> using it and for what purpose.

As best I can tell, commercial sites still use it for traditional code,
just like Cobol. It's interesting, Intel does neither but we spend a ton of
money on Fortran because so much development (both old and new) in the
scientific community requires it.  I answered why elsewhere in more
detail: Where
is Fortran used these days
<https://www.quora.com/Where-is-Fortran-used-these-days/answers/87679712>
and Is Fortran still alive
<https://www.quora.com/Is-Fortran-still-alive/answer/Clem-Cole>

My >>guess<< is that PL/1 is suffering the same fate as Cobol, and fading
because the apps are being/have been slowly rewritten from custom code to
using COTS solutions from folks like Oracle, SAS, BAAN and the like.   Not
so for Fortran and the reason is that the math has not changed.  The core
of these codes is the same was it was in the 1960s/70s when they were
written.  A friend of mine used to be the Chief Metallurgist for the US Gov
at NIST and as Dr. Fek put it so well: * "I have over 60 years worth of
data that we have classified and we understand what it is telling us.   If
you magically gave me new code to do the same thing as what we do with our
processes that we have developed over the years, I would have to reclassify
all that data.  It's just not economically interesting."  *I personally
equate it to the QWERTY keyboard.  Just not going to change. *i.e.* *"Simple
economics always beats sophisticated architecture."*

* Re: [COFF] [TUHS] Book Recommendation
       [not found]       ` <CAP2nic0d7Kg1-i3w=6220NfBTQh7TaZ6nMsNx7NWLE+dTn5Z7w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-11-16 16:19         ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2021-11-16 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)