Computer Old Farts Forum
From: segaloco via COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
To: Luther Johnson <luther@makerlisp.com>
Cc: arnold@skeeve.com, cowan@ccil.org, COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
Subject: [COFF] Re: The era of general purpose computing (Re: AIX moved into maintainance mode
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 21:12:03 +0000	[thread overview]

COFF'd

I wonder if we'll see events around 2038 that renew interest in conventional computing.  There are going to be more public eyes on vintage computers and aging computational infrastructure the closer we get to that date methinks, if even just in the form of Ric Romero-esque curiosity pieces.

Hopefully the cohort of folks that dive into Fortran and Cobol for the first time to pick up some of the slack on bringing 2038-averse software and systems forward will continue to explore around the margins of their newfound skills.  I know starting in assembly and C influenced me to then come to understand the bigger picture in which those languages and their paradigms developed, so hopefully the same is true of a general programming community finding itself Fortran-and-Cobol-ish for a time.

- Matt G.