Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] [TUHS] cut, paste, join, etc.
       [not found]       ` <e11f295f-a4db-ae4f-0da6-85b6d52be7ad@spamtrap.tnetconsulting.net>
@ 2021-02-18  7:32         ` peter
From: peter @ 2021-02-18  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

=> COFF since it's left Unix history behind.

On 2021-Feb-16 21:08:15 -0700, Grant Taylor via TUHS <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>I like SQLite and Berkeley DB in that they don't require a full RDBMS
>running.  Instead, an application can load what it needs and access the
>DB itself.

I also like SQLite and use it quite a lot.  It is a full RDBMS, it
just runs inside the client instead of being a separate backend
server.  (BDB is a straight key:value store).

>I don't remember how many files SQLite uses to store a DB.

One file.  I often ship SQLite DB files between systems for various
reasons and agree that the "one file" is much easier that a typical RDBMS.

--
Peter Jeremy
On 2/18/21 12:32 AM, Peter Jeremy via COFF wrote:
> I also like SQLite and use it quite a lot.  It is a full RDBMS, it
> just runs inside the client instead of being a separate backend server.
> (BDB is a straight key:value store).

Fair enough.

I was referring to an external and independent daemon with it's own
needs for care & feeding.

> One file.  I often ship SQLite DB files between systems for various
> reasons and agree that the "one file" is much easier that a typical
> RDBMS.

*nod*

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: dave @ 2021-02-21 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:

>> I also like SQLite and use it quite a lot.  It is a full RDBMS, it just
>> runs inside the client instead of being a separate backend server. (BDB
>> is a straight key:value store).
>
> Fair enough.

+1 for another happy SQLite user; it "just works".

-- Dave, who implemented "join" under BDB