Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] cmake (was: Version 256 of systemd boasts '42% less Unix) philosophy' The Register
       [not found]                 ` <5d991bcb-0bac-50f1-ba8e-4c9c561499c9@makerlisp.com>
@ 2024-06-20  5:20                   ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2024-06-20  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luther Johnson; +Cc: coff, Greg A. Woods

[Moved to COFF.  Mercifully this really has nothing to do with Unix]

On Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 22:09:11 -0700, Luther Johnson wrote:
> On 06/19/2024 10:01 PM, Scot Jenkins via TUHS wrote:
>> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@robohack.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> I will not ever allow cmake to run, or even exist, on the machines I
>>> control...
>>
>> How do you deal with software that only builds with cmake (or meson,
>> scons, ... whatever the developer decided to use as the build tool)?
>> What alternatives exist short of reimplementing the build process in
>> a standard makefile by hand, which is obviously very time consuming,
>> error prone, and will probably break the next time you want to update
>> a given package?
>>
>> If there is some great alternative, I would like to know about it.
>
> I just avoid tools that build with CMake altogether, I look for
> alternative tools. The tool has already told me, what I can expect from
> a continued relationship, by its use of CMake ...

That's fine if you have the choice.  I use Hugin
(https://hugin.sourceforge.io/), a panorama stitcher, and the authors
have made the decision to use cmake.  I don't see any useful
alternative to to Hugin, so I'm stuck with cmake.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key.