Computer Old Farts Forum
* Re: [COFF] Happy birthday, the Internet!
@ 2021-04-07  3:38 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2021-04-07  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff

did you know ...

capitalising internet means you have to hold the shift-key

--
the more I learn the better I understand I know nothing.

* Re: [COFF] Happy birthday, the Internet!
@ 2021-04-07  4:04 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2021-04-07  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: coff; +Cc: jnc

Re: [COFF] Happy birthday, the Internet!
    > From: Jim Carpenter

    > But even that isn't really correct, as the Internet is a network of
    > networks and Arpanet was all alone.

Correct: the ARPANET was merely an ancestor (albeit an important one) of the
Internet. (The most important, in terms of technical influence, was CYCLADES,
"the key intermediate technical step between the ARPANET and the Internet".)
The ARPANET was later sort of subsumed into the Internet, as its original
long-haul backbone ("sort of" because the ARPANET's main protocol was
discarded, in doing so), but that's not too important.

If you want to select _a_ birthday for the Internet, I'd pick the day they
settled on the IPv4 packet format; we know when that was, it was the second
day of the 15/16 June, 1978 meeting (see IEN-68). I'm not wedded to that
date, if someone has a better suugestion (e.g. the firt PRNET to ARPNET test),
I'm open to hearing why the alternative's preferable.

	Noel

* [COFF] Happy birthday, the Internet!
@ 2021-04-06 21:20 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2021-04-06 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

Born on this day in 1969 with the publication of RFC-1 "Host Software" by
Steve Crocker, it basically specified the ARPAnet and the IMPs.

Oh, and it really peeves me when the stupid media call it "the internet";
it's a proper noun, hence is capitalised.

-- Dave