Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Happy birthday, Ada Lovelace and JFO!
@ 2019-12-09 20:50 dave
       [not found] ` <20191209224022.swlqk4pkkjsheb6d@localhost.localdomain>
From: dave @ 2019-12-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bit hard to classify this one; separate posts since COFF was created?

Augusta Ada King-Noel, Countess of Lovelace (and daughter of Lord Byron), was
born on this day in 1815; arguably the world's first computer programmer and a
highly independent woman, she saw the potential in Charles Babbage's
new-fangled invention.

J.F.Ossanna was given unto us on this day in 1928; a prolific programmer, he
not only had a hand in developing Unix but also gave us the ROFF series.

Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same birthday?

-- Dave

* [COFF] [TUHS] Happy birthday, Ada Lovelace and JFO!
@ 2019-12-10  4:03 ` athornton
       [not found] ` <20191209224022.swlqk4pkkjsheb6d@localhost.localdomain>
From: athornton @ 2019-12-10  4:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Dec 9, 2019, at 1:50 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same birthday?

Well, are there more than 19 of them?

Adam

@ 2019-12-13  1:34   ` dave
From: dave @ 2019-12-13  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2019, G. Branden Robinson wrote:

>> Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same
>> birthday?
>
> Anyone who thinks there are at least 23 greats would bet that way. ;-)

Yeah, I know; I'd temporarily forgotten the Birthday Paradox :-(

-- Dave

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Ada Lovelace and JFO!
@ 2020-12-12  8:39   ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-12-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>> Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same
>> birthday?
>
> I, for one.  This is the subject of the "birthday problem",
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem, though it's not clear
> where there's a problem.  Take any 23 people and the chance of two of
> them having the same birthday is 50%.

Not only am I familiar with that (I majored in Mathematics), I also know
about the timezone problem i.e. when did a certain event occur?

And anyway, I was not talking about two people chosem at random, if you'd
actually read what I wrote.

I try to use the local timezone where possible, but sometimes I have to
guess; what do you do?

-- Dave

* [COFF] Happy birthday, Ada Lovelace and JFO!
@ 2020-12-09 23:38 ` grog
From: grog @ 2020-12-09 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Removing TUHS]

On Thursday, 10 December 2020 at  7:13:11 +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Who'ld've thought that two computer greats would share the same birthday?

I, for one.  This is the subject of the "birthday problem",
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem, though it's not clear
where there's a problem.  Take any 23 people and the chance of two of
them having the same birthday is 50%.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
* [COFF] Happy birthday, Ada Lovelace and JFO!
@ 2020-12-09 20:13 dave