On Tue, 17 Mar 2020, Clem Cole wrote: > > Can't say the same for UEFI, I disable that crap. > > Well, it beats the crap out of IBM's BIOS, but that bar is very low.  >   UEFI was sort of a 'camel' (a horse designed by committee) and too > many people peed on it.  Intel created EFI to try to fix BIOS and then > people went nuts.   Apple's version is the best of them, but as you say, > they all suck if you have seen anything better.  A big problem IMO is > that EFI tried to be somewhat compatible.  In the end, they were not, so > you got the worst of both (new interfaces and legacy functionality). The first time I blundered into UEFI was when I tried to boot FreeBSD on a newish PC, and of course it was not an authorised CD, was it? Or something like that; anyway, I'm a great believer in allowing idiots to shoot themselves in the foot if they so desire. -- Dave