Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07  2:11 gtaylor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: gtaylor @ 2020-07-07  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please
> modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp,
> but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not the
> only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.

I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/
/too/ /often/.

So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or
COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
copies of topics they aren't interested in.

I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and
that Warren would be amicable to such.

To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist
today.  They would just have the to be utilized option of picking
interesting topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the
message body.

I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

> On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp, but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not the only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.
>
> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/ /too/ /often/.
>
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive copies of topics they aren't interested in.
>
> I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and that Warren would be amicable to such.
>
> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist today.  They would just have the to be utilized option of picking interesting topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the message body.
>
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

Meh.

These lists aren’t so high-traffic that I feel a need to, but if it happens it won’t bother me.

Adam

* [COFF] [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 14:33 ` rtomek
From: rtomek @ 2020-07-07 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 08:11:43PM -0600, Grant Taylor via TUHS wrote:
> On 7/6/20 7:30 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> >People (not just Clem), when you change the topic, can you please
> >modify the Subject: to match?  I'm not overly interested in uucp,
> >but editors are a completely different matter.  I'm sure I'm not
> >the only one, so many interested parties will miss these replies.
>
> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion —
> /way/ /too/ /often/.
>
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and /
> or COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
> subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
> copies of topics they aren't interested in.
[...]
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

I would not care. I would want to get everything, because one day my
interests could change (I might want to know what people said about
editors, for example :-) ) and who knows, maybe a list would be gone
already. I even archive the spam, just in case I want to do some big
data stuff on it one day. My yearly mailbox is on par with two cdroms,
so any savings would be rather minimal.

And boy, the more the better. Just think about those scripts to
process (hundred) thousands of mails. Displaying stuff on text
terminal. Green text terminal emulator. Better than norp, if you ask
me. Actually, this is norp.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

* [COFF] [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 14:38 ` salewski
From: salewski @ 2020-07-07 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2020-07-06 20:11:43, Grant Taylor via TUHS spake thus:
[...]
> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or COFF
> mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could subscribe to the
> topics that they are interested in and not receive copies of topics they
> aren't interested in.
[...]

> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist today.
> They would just have the to be utilized option of picking interesting
> topics.  Where topics would be based on keywords in the message body.
>
> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.

My preference would be to keep things the way they are.

I want to receive all list messages; I would not want to switch to an
arrangement where I was in danger of missing messages because my list
preferences config became a little stale.

-Al

a l a n   d.   s a l e w s k i                   salewski at att.net
1024D/FA2C3588 EDFA 195F EDF1 0933 1002  6396 7C92 5CB3 FA2C 3588

* [COFF] [TUHS] Topics...
@ 2020-07-07 15:26   ` cowan
From: cowan @ 2020-07-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:39 AM Alan D. Salewski <salewski at att.net> wrote:

> I'm just trying to gauge people's interest in this idea.
>
> My preference would be to keep things the way they are.
>
> I want to receive all list messages; I would not want to switch to an
> arrangement where I was in danger of missing messages because my list
> preferences config became a little stale.

Very much +1.  Part of the trouble is that Gmail and similar clients don't
routinely show you the Subject: line to make it easy to edit it; you have
to take affirmative action when you want to change the subject matter.

It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.
Droid loses chameleon, chameleon becomes blob, droid gets blob back
again.  It's a classic tale.  --Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] Topics...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-07 22:53 ` dave
       [not found]   ` <97902a98ce76c281160840d78ed838be@xs4all.nl>
From: dave @ 2020-07-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:

> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/
> /too/ /often/.

It is the nature of unmoderated mailing lists that topics will drift over
time until someone jumps in to change the Subject: (and it really ought to
be a new thread) and hope that others will take the hint.

Yes, I'm just as guilty as others; then again, I've also changed the
subject when I realise my transgression.

> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or
> COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
> subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
> copies of topics they aren't interested in.

They would then need to see what new topics come up from time to time...

> I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and
> that Warren would be amicable to such.

I believe they are on Mailman, but I have little experience with running
it.

> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist
> today. They would just have the to be utilized option of picking
> interesting topics. Where topics would be based on keywords in the
> message body.

On one list I use, a predecessor of it used to require a subject tag in
the form [Blah] (taken from a set of known tags); I've always hated that,
but I'm still in the habit of putting my own tag there as a hint.

-- Dave

* [COFF] [TUHS]  Topics...
       [not found]   ` <97902a98ce76c281160840d78ed838be@xs4all.nl>
@ 2020-07-08  2:09     ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-07-08  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020, Jacob Goense wrote:

> When I have tuned out of a long running thread and the topic drifts
> significantly I'm always grateful to the kind soul that tags..:
>
>    Subject: Re: new [was: old]

Yeah, I try and remember to do that...

-- Dave

* [COFF] Topics...
       [not found]   ` <97902a98ce76c281160840d78ed838be@xs4all.nl>
@ 2020-07-08  4:29   ` gtaylor
From: gtaylor @ 2020-07-08  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/7/20 4:53 PM, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> They would then need to see what new topics come up from time to time...

I would think that Warren and Co. would need to send out an email when
they added new topics.

> I believe they are on Mailman, but I have little experience with running
> it.

Yep.

Mailman does have an option to "Receive all messages that don't match
any topic." or some wording like that.  So I think that if people set
that, then they would only miss out on messages that touched on a topic
that they opted to not receive.

> On one list I use, a predecessor of it used to require a subject tag in
> the form [Blah] (taken from a set of known tags); I've always hated
> that, but I'm still in the habit of putting my own tag there as a hint.

Yes, that's Mailman's default.  However, it's relatively easy to have
Prcomail (et al.) process the message before it goes into Mailman and
scan the message body for keywords and add them to a user defined header
that Mailman looks at.  Thus, people don't need to include the topic in
the subject.

This is the make technology work for me (us) that I believe in so much.  :-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

From: gtaylor @ 2020-07-08  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/7/20 8:38 AM, Alan D. Salewski wrote:
> I want to receive all list messages; I would not want to switch to
> an arrangement where I was in danger of missing messages because my
> list preferences config became a little stale.

I understand your concern.  However, I don't think there is any real
danger of not receiving messages if you set your preferences correctly.

Mailman has the following per user preference:

"""
Do you want to receive messages that do not match any topic filter?

This option only takes effect if you've subscribed to at least one topic
above. It describes what the default delivery rule is for messages that
don't match any topic filter. Selecting No says that if the message does
not match any topic filters, then you won't get the message, while
selecting Yes says to deliver such non-matching messages to you.

If no topics of interest are selected above, then you will receive every
message sent to the mailing list.
"""

--
Grant. . . .