Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] [TUHS] 2bsd tarball -> pdtar, with a side of uuslave
       [not found]   ` <26260.1596030165@hop.toad.com>
@ 2020-07-29 20:01     ` cym224
From: cym224 @ 2020-07-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Sent to COFF as too far afield for a subthread)

On 29/07/2020, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote (in part):
[...]
> There was another chapter to the "tar wars" after UNIX and after POSIX.

First, thank you for the chapter. #6-)

> I put the pdtar code into the public domain, so it could be widely used.
> This produced a variety of support headaches.  [...] This eventually led me to
> understand more of the value in using the GNU General Public License.

As everyone knows, a lot of Usenet source was released into the public
domain.  I have been told, time and again, by IP lawyers never to
release s/w unencumbered.  Without an appropriate encumbrance, the
author may be liable for any damage caused by said  s/w -- as insane
as that sounds.  (I was told that there is even case law but I cannot
remember what.)  So your support woes could have been worse.

N.

* [COFF] [TUHS] 2bsd tarball -> pdtar, with a side of uuslave
@ 2020-08-12  1:51       ` dave
From: dave @ 2020-08-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020, Nemo wrote:

> As everyone knows, a lot of Usenet source was released into the public
> domain.  I have been told, time and again, by IP lawyers never to
> release s/w unencumbered.  Without an appropriate encumbrance, the
> author may be liable for any damage caused by said  s/w -- as insane
> as that sounds.  (I was told that there is even case law but I cannot
> remember what.)  So your support woes could have been worse.

This is the "licence" that I use; I find the GPL to be far too restrictive
for my tastes.

-----

               |Simplified BSD Licence (patent pending)|

Do what the hell you like with this stuff, but don't pretend that you
wrote it or remove this notice, OK?  Otherwise I *will* hunt you down
and deal with you (and I have done that before).

If you modify anything then have the guts to put your name to it so I
know who to blame and can deflect complaints accordingly, or email me
so I can incorporate your ideas (with due credit) in the next version
of this fine suite of software; fame could be yours :-)

Continued use of this software may or may not result in the agonising
death of all small furry animals within a 100ft radius, so use at own
risk; I cannot accept any responsibility for any animal-welfare group
kicking down the door in the middle of the night and dragging you off
to be vivisected with a rusty razor blade.

Copyright (C) 2018, David Ian Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU) dave at horsfall.org
Don't email me without first reading http:/www.horsfall.org/spam.html

-- Dave