Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
       [not found]         ` <3e226172-b395-f5c1-df2c-b383024a08df@bitsavers.org>
@ 2022-08-05 13:33           ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2022-08-05 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Kossow; +Cc: Computer Old Farts Followers

This thread needs to move to COFF to continue - although my own story is
1/2 about BSD and the VAX.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 10:15 PM Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org> wrote:

> On 8/4/22 5:37 PM, Andrew Newman wrote:
>
> > There's a bunch of AED documentation online, including this...
> >
> > http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/aed/brochures/AED_767_Brochure_Jun82.pdf <
> http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/aed/brochures/AED_767_Brochure_Jun82.pdf>
>
> I worked at AED before going to Apple, to stay sort of window related, the
> last project I worked on at AED was
> a VME and Qbus board set that was a complete color X terminal.

I had to chuckle when I read that.  In the fall of '82 (I think), we got a
Smalltalk VM from PARC at UCB.  Dave Unger, Ken Keller, and I - plus some
other folks in Patterson's systems seminar who's names I have since
forgotten, wrote a VM in C for the VAX/BSD.  We used an AED512 and Keller's
graphics library from his thesis running over a 19.2 serial link as the
output.  About a month after we had it running, a couple of us got to visit
PARC, and Peter Deutch showed us Smalltalk running on a Dorado.  He ran his
hand with the mouse across the screen opening and closing a bunch of
windows randomly.   We started laughing and Peter asked us what was so
funny.  We told him what he did would have taken at least 5 minutes to
redisplay on BSD/VAX version.

Clem
ᐧ

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
@ 2022-08-05 14:55             ` Adam Thornton
From: Adam Thornton @ 2022-08-05 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

I'm fairly certain that in my very early Linux experiments (0.09, maybe?) I
used mgr for a while because X only supported the Tseng ET-4000 (something
like that) video card, which I didn't have.  I remember finding it
completely usable.

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
@ 2022-08-05 22:16               ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-08-05 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022, Adam Thornton wrote:

> I'm fairly certain that in my very early Linux experiments (0.09,
> maybe?) I used mgr for a while because X only supported the Tseng
> ET-4000 (something like that) video card, which I didn't have.  I
> remember finding it completely usable.

Tseng Labs as I recall, and it was extremely common.

-- Dave

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
       [not found] ` <CAEoi9W5OUdEz6Pp7aY7bWK_8_Xu+cM7asHEpqbVh5CtDorJYKA@mail.gmail.com>
       [not found]   ` <566D98A2-B976-44A9-BD53-F10ECC7E24BC@iitbombay.org>
@ 2022-08-09  1:46   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-08-09  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

[ Moved to COFF ]

On Thu, 4 Aug 2022, Dan Cross wrote:

[...]

> It wasn't particularly notable, or at least didn't leave much of an
> impression; it presented a pretty "standard" (and primitive!)
> graphical experience. I believe it was monochrome, with amber
> on black.

It also ran on the Applix 1616, an Aussie designed and built 68000
system; it was pretty much ahead of its time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applix_1616

-- Dave

* [COFF] Re: [TUHS] Re: The MGR window system and the Macintosh
@ 2022-08-09  1:50     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2022-08-09  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Computer Old Farts Followers; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Tue, 9 Aug 2022, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> It also ran on the Applix 1616, an Aussie designed and built 68000
> system; it was pretty much ahead of its time.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applix_1616

Oops; I forgot the article describing how MGR was ported to said box:

    http://ericlindsay.com/applix/mgr.pdf

-- Dave