On Sat, 11 Feb 2023, steve jenkin wrote: > In 1996, a Unix conference in Melbourne had a visit to the reconstructed > first (valve) computer in Australia, CSIRAC. [...] > Can’t find a reference to that now :( > > Dave Horsfall, IIRC, was at that event & knows radio. > Might correct my recollection. My ears are burning :-) No. I don't recall that, but I may have written about it in AUUGN (I wrote heaps of articles in those golden days). I do recall a visit to KRE's machine room, though; the PIN for his machine room was "1428" (the first four digits of the fractional part of 22/7, of course). I don't recall going to Monash, though; umm, remind me? The bloke with the TTY driver hangup? He spoke at a few AUUGs. > CSIRAC is the only pre-1950 computer in the world to be preserved. All > others were broken up for scrap - their useful life over. Sacrilege... > IIRC, the console of the Manchester Mk 1 was found near a railway line, > used as part of a retaining wall. Heh :-) I'm currently writing an emulator for that thing (just for fun, of course); now, where the hell can I find some sample programs to verify the thing? -- Dave (VK2KFU for the radio bit)