On Tue, 27 Jun 2023, steve jenkin wrote: > In the mid 1980’s I worked for a small Australian outfit that did > “Unix”. Neology? Softway? > One of the things we did was distributing software, which required > writing to many media. [...] > There was a ‘create the distro’ step of the pipeline which gathered the > input, followed by a loop that used ‘dd’ to block the stream into > media-sized parts. Sounds like you want to put "dd" into a loop, driven by the block size and the media size, then using the "iseek" option on the input file to burrow through it. I would use "expr" for the arithmetic because I've never bothered to learn the Bash syntax :-) Or have I missed something? -- Dave