Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] [TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]
       [not found]         ` <c538840843c9a04d508265b1f4fb8069@firemail.de>
@ 2020-08-15 15:18           ` dot
From: dot @ 2020-08-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

moving to COFF ...

Thomas Paulsen <thomas.paulsen at firemail.de> wrote:

> >I'm sure everyone here knows this, but the Cray 1 (I think, the one
> that had what looked like a circular bench seat around the bottom) was
> designed like that because the clock was at the center and the clock
> signal went to all the boards and was right because all the clock lines
> to the boards were the same length.<
>
> you mean that? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Cray-1-deutsches-museum.jpg

I found the Cray 1M site planning reference manual very interesting -
here's a summary with links to the actual documents

http://www.howtospotapsychopath.com/2012/06/15/they-called-it-big-iron-for-a-reason/

Tony.
Ardnamurchan Point to Cape Wrath: North or northeast 3 to 5, becoming variable
2 at times. Slight or moderate, becoming smooth or slight between Barra and
Canna. Fog patches. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor.

* [COFF] [TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]
@ 2020-08-15 17:09             ` krewat
From: krewat @ 2020-08-15 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

After going down that rabbit hole (thanks!)...

I love the motor/generator pair(s) they used to power the thing. I
immediately thought of a motor-generator set my father had, to turn 60hz
into 400hz, so he could test products they built at a defense contractor
(and later, NASA contractor).

Sure enough, the Cray used 400hz AC input power.

@ 2020-08-15 18:01               ` steffen
From: steffen @ 2020-08-15 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Krewat wrote in
 <2e6b32cb-3e8a-a185-854d-e47204240c60 at kilonet.net>:
 |After going down that rabbit hole (thanks!)...

Yeah dammit, i haven't read Iggy's rider for a decade or so!!
Man, the good ones die out and what remains is like that hot
yellow water, so to say.  Doh!

--steffen

@ 2020-08-15 18:04                 ` steffen
From: steffen @ 2020-08-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20200815180135.-TJSo%steffen at sdaoden.eu>:
 |Arthur Krewat wrote in
 | <2e6b32cb-3e8a-a185-854d-e47204240c60 at kilonet.net>:
 ||After going down that rabbit hole (thanks!)...
 |
 |Yeah dammit, i haven't read Iggy's rider for a decade or so!!

The old, real one, that is to say!

 |Man, the good ones die out and what remains is like that hot
 |yellow water, so to say.  Doh!

--steffen

@ 2020-08-18 23:15               ` dot
From: dot @ 2020-08-18 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:

> After going down that rabbit hole (thanks!)...

Share and enjoy :-)

[ If you like geeky links there's much more like it at https://dotat.at/:/ ]

Tony.
Gibraltar Point to North Foreland: Southerly or southwesterly 3 or 4, backing
southerly or southeasterly 4 to 6. Smooth or slight, becoming slight or
moderate later. Fair then rain at times. Good, occasionally poor later.