Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] X Windows use in Nutek Mac clone
@ 2020-06-01  1:16 wobblygong
From: wobblygong @ 2020-06-01  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I'm wondering if anybody knows what happened with this? (Besides the
fact it crashed and burnt. I mean, where are the source trees?)
lowendmac.com/2016/nutek-mac-clones/

It was a Macintosh clone that reverse-engineered the Mac interface and
appearance, using the X Window System as the GUI library - what in
Macs of that era was locked into the Mac system BIOS.

As such, it's an interesting use of the X Window System.

Wesley Parish

* [COFF] X Windows use in Nutek Mac clone
@ 2020-06-01  6:01 ` robert
From: robert @ 2020-06-01  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 1 Jun 2020, Wesley Parish wrote:

> It was a Macintosh clone that reverse-engineered the Mac interface and
> appearance, using the X Window System as the GUI library - what in
> Macs of that era was locked into the Mac system BIOS.

I hadn't heard of this before.  I wonder if it used the mlvwm (Mac-like
Virtual Window Manager).  Around 1995 a friend of mine installed Linux on
a Sun box and ran the mlvwm just to confuse people.  Our Unix user group
did a few demos and we'd bring it along.

https://opensource.com/article/19/12/linux-mlvwm-desktop

Rob