Computer Old Farts Forum
From: mike.ab3ap at gmail.com (Mike Markowski)
Subject: [COFF] On having a slash
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:10:50 -0400	[thread overview]

Showing the usefulness of that, back around 1985 I was in a training
session at Unisys and the instructor told us about his time as a
programmer in Vietnam during wartime.  He was part of a group that
modified software for artillery fire control systems in the field, and
each time one of the soldier programmers got orders to return home he
would leave an easter egg in the code.  A few days later a message might
pop up saying, "Drinking a beer at home watching tv, wish you were
here??" or little things along those lines.  The instructor said one
guy, however, went into the code and globally replaced variable names
with combinations of 1, l, 0, O.  Since the 1/l and 0/O were displayed
identically, the programmers didn't find the prank funny.  Our
instructor said as he traveled the US training groups, he hoped he would
find the guy.  10 or 15 years later he was still more than a tad angry.
All for lack of slashes and serifs.

Incidentally, living in Austria I was surprised to see ones commonly
written looking nearly like upside down Vs.

Mike Markowski