Computer Old Farts Forum
* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
@ 2020-03-09 21:18 gtaylor
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: gtaylor @ 2020-03-09 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/8/20 9:39 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> floppy controller supports the full range of crazy that once roamed
> the earth

Does anyone have any knee jerk reaction to the idea of putting a 5¼"
floppy drive on a USB-to-Floppy (nominally 3½") adapter?

Do I want to avoid tilting at this windmill?

Am I better off installing the 5¼" floppy inside the computer and
connecting directly to the motherboard?

I'm only wanting to pull files off of 5¼" disks.  At most I'll want to
dd the disks to an image.

That being said, I wonder if I should also be collecting any different
types of images.  (This may mean mobo instead of USB.)

Thank you for any pro-tips that you can provide.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
@ 2020-03-09 22:06 ` drb
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: drb @ 2020-03-09 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

 > Does anyone have any knee jerk reaction to the idea of putting a 5¼"
 > floppy drive on a USB-to-Floppy (nominally 3½") adapter?

 > Do I want to avoid tilting at this windmill?

The gadgets of this general ilk that *I* have encountered only really
work for accessing MS-DOS format floppies.  If that's the scale of your
problem, and you have a compatible floppy drive, you probably stand a
chance.

If not, you probably need something akin to a Kryoflux.

De

* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
@ 2020-03-09 22:32 ` krewat
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: krewat @ 2020-03-09 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Off the top of my head, what floppies are you reading? Are they already
normal "PC" format, or some other systems? And if so, are they
compatible (read-wise) with what you have?

There are adapters for the various connections of a edge-card floppy
drive interface, and the 3.5" floppy interface (dual-inline?), it's
directly electronically compatible I believe.

But, as Dennis Boone says in another email about formats, the USB
adapter might cause issues with non-MS/DOS or Windows floppies just
because it might only deal with a limited number of configurations,
track and sector wise.

art k.

On 3/9/2020 5:18 PM, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:
> On 3/8/20 9:39 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
>> floppy controller supports the full range of crazy that once roamed
>> the earth
>
> Does anyone have any knee jerk reaction to the idea of putting a 5¼"
> floppy drive on a USB-to-Floppy (nominally 3½") adapter?
>
> Do I want to avoid tilting at this windmill?
>
> Am I better off installing the 5¼" floppy inside the computer and
> connecting directly to the motherboard?
>
> I'm only wanting to pull files off of 5¼" disks.  At most I'll want to
> dd the disks to an image.
>
> That being said, I wonder if I should also be collecting any different
> types of images.  (This may mean mobo instead of USB.)
>
> Thank you for any pro-tips that you can provide.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
@ 2020-03-09 22:49 ` gtaylor
From: gtaylor @ 2020-03-09 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/9/20 3:18 PM, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:
> I'm only wanting to pull files off of 5¼" disks.  At most I'll want to
> dd the disks to an image.

I have two sets of floppies that I want to read at this time.  The
first, and likely simpler, is an old Super Solvers game for MS-DOS.  The
second, and possibly more problematic, is Banyan Vines install media.  I
expect that at least some of the Vines disks are PC format, but I
wouldn't be surprised if others were a Vines specific format that are
read after Vines (a Unix) is booted.

At this point I'm more concerned with saving the content of / files on
the disks than I am in saving a disk image that others can consume.  But
I suspect this is biased in a non-trivial ignorance of what others might
want or wish that I had done to preserve these disks.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-09 23:49 ` imp
From: imp @ 2020-03-09 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 3:24 PM Grant Taylor via COFF <coff at minnie.tuhs.org>
wrote:

> On 3/8/20 9:39 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> > floppy controller supports the full range of crazy that once roamed
> > the earth
>
> Does anyone have any knee jerk reaction to the idea of putting a 5¼"
> floppy drive on a USB-to-Floppy (nominally 3½") adapter?

Won't work. There's two reasons for this. First, the USB adapter talks to
the 3.5" floppy directly in a rather hard-wired kind of way. Second, the
USB standard makes drivers assume they are talking to a 3.5" drive with a
1.44MB in it only (though there's a common extension for the 720k floppies,
IIRC). 5.25" is right out.

Unless you have a specialized USB thing like kyroflux, but it doesn't
present a nice, simple interface to the system (though the interface it
does have/use works really well)

> Do I want to avoid tilting at this windmill?
>
> Am I better off installing the 5¼" floppy inside the computer and
> connecting directly to the motherboard?
>
> I'm only wanting to pull files off of 5¼" disks.  At most I'll want to
> dd the disks to an image.

I've not had good luck with that in over 15-20 years. I have used
kyroflux to read ~500 DEC Rainbow disks and I have images now that I've
been able to read and pull files off of. I'm more hampered by archive
programs removing support for really old versions of the compression
algorithms :(.

> That being said, I wonder if I should also be collecting any different
> types of images.  (This may mean mobo instead of USB.)
>
> Thank you for any pro-tips that you can provide.

My pro tip is to get hardware that's geared to reading a variety of disks
rather than hope your mobo has enough smarts to do it.

Warner

@ 2020-03-12 19:30   ` krewat
From: krewat @ 2020-03-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I ordered a Kryoflux board from them two days ago. I have plenty of C64,
MSDOS, and other floppies that I'd like to make images of.

I will report back to the COFF list what I find after I receive it. It
shipped today, but it's coming from Germany I believe, so we'll see how
long that takes ;)

I ordered this one, as it comes with a few extra cables and a power
supply for the floppy drive:
https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=30

Cost me with shipping to the US: $144.41 , or €129.30 EUR according to
the invoice.

Very reasonable...

art k.

* [COFF] Speaking of floppy controllers,
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-03-18 20:03 ` gtaylor
From: gtaylor @ 2020-03-18 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/9/20 3:18 PM, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:
> Thank you for any pro-tips that you can provide.

Thank you for all the replies, both on list and directly.

I'm getting the impression that I might be bighting off more than I care
to chew.

So I may be looking for a service that I can send the disks to for them
to be imaged.  At least a reasonable take at it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die