Computer Old Farts Forum
From: mparson at bl.org (Michael Parson)
Subject: [COFF] [TUHS] Typing tutors
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 11:58:34 -0600	[thread overview]

<moving to coff, less unix heritage content here>

On 2021-02-07 23:29, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 04:32:56PM -0500, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
>> My Sun UNIX layout keyboards (and mice) work quite well with my Macs.
>> I share your sentiments.
>
> Most of the bespoke mechanical keyboard makers will offer a dipswitch
> for what happens to the left of the A, and with an option to print the
> right value there, my keyboards work quite well the right way.

I've been using the CODE[0] keyboard with 'clear' switches for the past
few years and have been very happy with it. Has the dipswitches for
swapping around CTRL/CAPS and the meta/Alt, probably others as well.
When I don't have hardware solutions to this, most modern OSes let you
remap keys in software. Being a gnu screen user, CTRL & A being right
next too each other makes life easier.

I've used enough keyboards over the years that didn't even have an ESC
key (Mac Plus, the Commodore 64, the keyboard on my Samsung tablet,
probably a few others), that I got in the habit of using CTRL-[ to
generate an ESC and still do that most of the time rather than reaching
for the ESC up there in the corner.

> I did use the Sun Type5 USB Unix layout for quite some years, but I
> always found it a but mushy, and liked it better switching back to
> mechanical keyboards with the proper layout.

Before I got this keyboard, I used a Sun Type 7 keyboard (USB with the
UNIX layout). It had the CTRL and ESC keys in the "right" places (as
noted above, ESC location doesn't bother me as much), but yeah, they're
mushy, and big. Much happier with the mechanical keyboard for my daily
driver.

I've been eyeballing the TEX Shinobi[1], a mechanical keyboard with the
ThinkPad type TrackPoint, cut down on reasons for my fingers to leave
the keyboard even more.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX