Computer Old Farts Forum
From: segaloco via COFF <coff@tuhs.org>
To: Stuff Received <stuff@riddermarkfarm.ca>
Cc: coff@tuhs.org
Subject: [COFF] Re: The era of general purpose computing (Re: AIX moved into maintainance mode (COFFed)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 16:38:52 +0000	[thread overview]

One of the higher ups at work has suggested quite an interest in ChatGPT as a code documentarian.  I'm wary to let that thing near my code bases, but I'm a stickler for style as much as function, so a bit you could also tell to make pretty, readable code would be interesting.

I see most effective applications in documentation and cleanup, as a bot could probably be made to spit out pretty consistent documentation of functions to the tune of "always describe an if else option with this verbiage" or "add a mention of the stack depth added by every routine", and then cleanup like enforcing/removing braces on one liners, resorting procedures to group more relevant operations (when not order-dependent), and perhaps better intelligent editors that don't need as much configuration to smartly support many programming languages.  I'd love an editor that allows for rich editing of assembly alongside C.

Hopefully the direction the improvements on productivity go are "Gee my workers can work so efficiently now they deserve the time this frees up for them." although my fear is "Gee my workers can work so efficiently now I only need half of them."  I only support automation that makes workers' lives easier, not automation that makes executives bottom lines better at the cost of jobs.

- Matt G.