* Topic parameters overrule Group parameter?
@ 2000-08-17 16:30 Raymond Scholz
From: Raymond Scholz @ 2000-08-17 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

In my .gnus I have (setq gnus-use-adaptive-scoring t), so every group
(mail & news) uses scoring by default.  But for my mail I switched off
scoring using (gnus-use-scoring nil) in the "Mail" topic parameters.
But mailing lists should use scoring, so I switched it on in the
"Lists" topic parameters.  Up to now, everything's working as
I expected.

To make things even more complicated, I want some mailing lists not to
use scoring at all.  So my intention was to switch it off by adding
(gnus-use-scoring nil) to the group parameters.  But apparently the
statement in the "List" topic overrules the statement of the
list.special group so that I do have scoring in list.special!

[Gnus]
  [Mail] (gnus-use-scoring nil)
    [Lists] (gnus-use-scoring t)
       list.bla
       list.peng
       list.special (gnus-use-scoring nil) <-- does not work!
    [Privat]
       mail.privat
  [News]

The info pages say:

,----[ Topic Parameters ]
|    All groups in a topic will inherit group parameters from the parent
| (and ancestor) topic parameters.  All valid group parameters are valid
| topic parameters (*note Group Parameters::.).
`----

but there's no statement that group parameters overrule topic
parameters.  But I'd really like them to do so... Bug?  Feature?

Cheers,
  Ray
--
Raymond Scholz - rscholz@tzi.de - PGP - http://www.tzi.de/~rscholz/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-08-17 16:30 UTC | newest]