* attaching files in 0.80
@ 1999-04-09 15:58 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1999-04-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do file attachments work for other people in Gnus 0.80?  I just tried to
send some image/jpeg files to a friend.  When I looked at the sent file,
the images were corrupted/unreadable.

Also, I noticed an odd thing when the attached file was the last thing in
the message.  I got a warning and error:
     Sending...
     Encoding base64...
     Error while decoding: (args-out-of-range ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789+/ 79)
     Sending...done

One time I even got a message about character translation problems.

This is not a system-wide problem.  I was able to send a Word file to
myself with no problems.

--
Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu>    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~vinson/
Zippy: Fold, fold, FOLD!!  FOLDING many items!!

* Re: attaching files in 0.80
@ 1999-04-09 16:15 ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 1999-04-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Do file attachments work for other people in Gnus 0.80?  I just tried to
> send some image/jpeg files to a friend.  When I looked at the sent file,
> the images were corrupted/unreadable.
> This is not a system-wide problem.  I was able to send a Word file to
> myself with no problems.

I can confirm the problem using XEmacs/NT . I wonder if the problem is not
linked with some cr/lf  mode in the buffer where the conversion occurs.

Sometimes people can decode attachments, sometimes not. But the ones that
fail
to be decoded are always binary files (zip files).

Fabrice Popineau

* Re: attaching files in 0.80
@ 1999-04-09 16:27   ` Alfred J Correira
From: Alfred J Correira @ 1999-04-09 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding, Jack Vinson

"Fabrice Popineau" <popineau@ese-metz.fr> writes:

> > Do file attachments work for other people in Gnus 0.80?  I just tried to
> > send some image/jpeg files to a friend.  When I looked at the sent file,
> > the images were corrupted/unreadable.
> > This is not a system-wide problem.  I was able to send a Word file to
> > myself with no problems.
>
> I can confirm the problem using XEmacs/NT . I wonder if the problem is not
> linked with some cr/lf  mode in the buffer where the conversion occurs.
>
> Sometimes people can decode attachments, sometimes not. But the ones that
> fail
> to be decoded are always binary files (zip files).
>
> Fabrice Popineau

This is a problem I reported to the list when v0.80 first came out.  I tracked
it down to the following change in mml.el and sent out a note about it.  Lars
responded sometime subsequently that he was reverting to using
mm-with-unibyte-buffer, in v0.81 but you can patch your v0.80 and all will be
well (I have been doing attachments w/o problems for weeks now and I do a lot
of attachments ...) ...

[C:\emacs\site-lisp\gnus\lisp] diff -bc mml.el mml.el~
*** mml.el Tue Mar  9 18:16:02 1999
--- mml.el~ Wed Mar  3 15:38:30 1999
***************
*** 221,227 ****
            (setq charset (mm-encode-body))
            (setq encoding (mm-body-encoding charset))
            (setq coded (buffer-string)))
!       (mm-with-unibyte-buffer
          (cond
           ((cdr (assq 'buffer cont))
            (insert-buffer-substring (cdr (assq 'buffer cont))))
--- 221,227 ----
            (setq charset (mm-encode-body))
            (setq encoding (mm-body-encoding charset))
            (setq coded (buffer-string)))
!       (with-temp-buffer
          (cond
           ((cdr (assq 'buffer cont))
            (insert-buffer-substring (cdr (assq 'buffer cont))))

--
Work: Alfred.Correira@GlobeSet.Com  PH: 512.427.7715
Home: Correira@Flash.Net           FAX: 512.427.5101