* `timer.el' required for 5.8.7 on XEmacs
@ 2000-07-18 15:05 Toni Drabik
From: Toni Drabik @ 2000-07-18 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Beacuse of lack of time, I was away from new Gnus versions (and regulary
reading ding list) for a while, sticking to good old 5.8.2 instead. When I
tried to compile new 5.8.7 today, it kept complaining about missing
`timer.el' file, like this:

     While compiling toplevel forms in file
     /home/users/t/tdrabik/site-lisp/gnus-5.8.7/lisp/gnus-uu.el:
       !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "timer"))
     [...]
     While compiling toplevel forms in file
     /home/users/t/tdrabik/site-lisp/gnus-5.8.7/lisp/mm-partial.el:
       !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "timer"))
     [...]

As far as I know, `timer.el' is a GNU Emacs thingy, which was not needed for
byte-compiling and running Gnus on XEmacs. Why is it needed now and how to
circumvent this?

I'm using XEmacs 20.4 on Solaris.

Thanks,

Toni

--
He who turns and runs away, lives to fight another day.

* Re: `timer.el' required for 5.8.7 on XEmacs
@ 2000-07-18 15:32 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2000-07-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr>  on Tue, 18 Jul 2000
| As far as I know, `timer.el' is a GNU Emacs thingy, which was not needed for
| byte-compiling and running Gnus on XEmacs. Why is it needed now and how to
| circumvent this?

timer.el is part of XEmacs 21, which is probably why Gnus no longer bundles
it.  Just use the old version for now, or upgrade your XEmacs.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover

* Re: `timer.el' required for 5.8.7 on XEmacs
@ 2000-07-18 15:34   ` Toni Drabik
From: Toni Drabik @ 2000-07-18 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> * Toni Drabik <tdrabik@public.srce.hr>  on Tue, 18 Jul 2000
> | As far as I know, `timer.el' is a GNU Emacs thingy, which was not needed for
> | byte-compiling and running Gnus on XEmacs. Why is it needed now and how to
> | circumvent this?
>
> timer.el is part of XEmacs 21, which is probably why Gnus no longer bundles
> it.  Just use the old version for now, or upgrade your XEmacs.

Thanks. I simply copied `timer.el' from GNU Emacs 20.3 installation on my
machine to `gnus/lisp'. New Gnus compiled and seems to work, at least for
now.

--
The owls are not what they seem.