* Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  1:43 Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-18  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using the latest or near-latest CVS of gnus under XEmacs-21.1.9.

I remember several months ago, there were one or more things that are
part of that XEmacs package that were needed so that the CVS gnus
would compile.  Unfortunately, I don't recall exactly what those
necessary package(s) might be.

Is it still true that I need to have the XEmacs gnus package
(currently it's called "gnus-1.45") installed in order for the CVS
gnus to work?  Or have more recent CVS releases removed the
dependencies to anything that might be part of the XEmacs gnus
package?

Thanks in advance.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  2:04 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-07-18  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jul 2000, Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:

[...]

> Is it still true that I need to have the XEmacs gnus package
> (currently it's called "gnus-1.45") installed in order for the CVS
> gnus to work?  Or have more recent CVS releases removed the
> dependencies to anything that might be part of the XEmacs gnus
> package?

For what it's worth, the latest package for XEmacs is actually the
(close to) latest release of Gnus. You wouldn't actually need to use the
CVS version any longer... :)

        Daniel

--
Real programmers can write assembly code in any language.   :-)
        -- Larry Wall in <8571@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  2:10   ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-18  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Pittman" <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> On 17 Jul 2000, Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Is it still true that I need to have the XEmacs gnus package
> > (currently it's called "gnus-1.45") installed in order for the CVS
> > gnus to work?  Or have more recent CVS releases removed the
> > dependencies to anything that might be part of the XEmacs gnus
> > package?
>
> For what it's worth, the latest package for XEmacs is actually the
> (close to) latest release of Gnus. You wouldn't actually need to use the
> CVS version any longer... :)

Thanks ... that's good to know.

Still, however, I prefer the CVS version.  Can I uninstall gnus-1.45
and still have the CVS version compile?  [I'd normally use the empirical
method and just try it, but it takes so long with my slow internet
connection to re-install XEmacs packages, that I'm trying to get
at least a somewhat warm-and-fuzzy feeling about uninstalling
gnus-1.45 before I actually do so.]

--

@ 2000-07-18  2:20     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2000-07-18  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17 Jul 2000, Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:

> "Daniel Pittman" <daniel@danann.net> writes:
>
>> On 17 Jul 2000, Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:

[...]

> Still, however, I prefer the CVS version. Can I uninstall gnus-1.45
> and still have the CVS version compile? [I'd normally use the
> empirical method and just try it, but it takes so long with my slow
> internet connection to re-install XEmacs packages, that I'm trying to
> get at least a somewhat warm-and-fuzzy feeling about uninstalling
> gnus-1.45 before I actually do so.]

FWIW, I don't have the package installed and it compiles for me. OTOH, I
may have hacked it and forgotten or something like that.

Try moving the gnus package directory away, temporarily, and compiling.
That should tell you if it works. Just renaming it in place will not
work, I think.

        Daniel

--
When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb.
        -- Simon Brooke

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  2:24     ` Vin Shelton
From: Vin Shelton @ 2000-07-18  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe I need the fsf-compat package to compile the latest gnus
from CVS, but I don't think I need fsf-compat at run-time.  I do not
currently have a gnus package installed.

This is all IIRC.

BTW, why don't you download the gnus package once via FTP, then you
don't have the overhead of repeatedly getting it off the network if
you have to re-install.

  - vin

Lloyd> "Daniel Pittman" <daniel@danann.net> writes:
>> On 17 Jul 2000, Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Is it still true that I need to have the XEmacs gnus package
>> > (currently it's called "gnus-1.45") installed in order for the CVS
>> > gnus to work?  Or have more recent CVS releases removed the
>> > dependencies to anything that might be part of the XEmacs gnus
>> > package?
>>
>> For what it's worth, the latest package for XEmacs is actually the
>> (close to) latest release of Gnus. You wouldn't actually need to use the
>> CVS version any longer... :)

Lloyd> Thanks ... that's good to know.

Lloyd> Still, however, I prefer the CVS version.  Can I uninstall gnus-1.45
Lloyd> and still have the CVS version compile?  [I'd normally use the empirical
Lloyd> method and just try it, but it takes so long with my slow internet
Lloyd> connection to re-install XEmacs packages, that I'm trying to get
Lloyd> at least a somewhat warm-and-fuzzy feeling about uninstalling
Lloyd> gnus-1.45 before I actually do so.]

Lloyd> --
Lloyd>  Lloyd Zusman
Lloyd>  ljz@asfast.com

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  2:26 ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2000-07-18  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com>  on Mon, 17 Jul 2000
| I'm using the latest or near-latest CVS of gnus under XEmacs-21.1.9.

21.1.10a now (I just built it).

[...]
| Is it still true that I need to have the XEmacs gnus package
| (currently it's called "gnus-1.45") installed in order for the CVS
| gnus to work?

Maybe.  You'd probably be better off removing the XEmacs Gnus install
entirely, grabbing the current release tarball, unpack it, and run the CVS
checkout over that.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Warning: pregnant women, the elderly, and
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ children under 10 should avoid prolonged

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-18  2:27       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-18  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vin Shelton <acs@alumni.princeton.edu> writes:

> I believe I need the fsf-compat package to compile the latest gnus
> from CVS, but I don't think I need fsf-compat at run-time.  I do not
> currently have a gnus package installed.
>
> This is all IIRC.
>
> BTW, why don't you download the gnus package once via FTP, then you
> don't have the overhead of repeatedly getting it off the network if
> you have to re-install.

Well, the last time I installed the gnus-X.YY package from the XEmacs
archives was ages ago.  I've only installed it once.  If I uninstall
and re-install, that means one more S-L-O-O-W download of gnus-1.45,
whether I do an XEmacs install or I do the one-time FTP in order to
save the package.  I'm trying to avoid even this single download,
if at all possible.

But since you say that all I'd need is fsf-compat, I've already got
that installed.  Therefore, I'm going to take the plunge and uninsall
gnus-1.45 and hope/wish/pray for the best.

Here goes ...

--

@ 2000-07-18  2:31         ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-18  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Vin Shelton <acs@alumni.princeton.edu> writes:
>
> > [ ... ]
>
> But since you say that all I'd need is fsf-compat, I've already got
> that installed.  Therefore, I'm going to take the plunge and uninsall
> gnus-1.45 and hope/wish/pray for the best.
>
> Here goes ...

... and it worked!!!

WHEW!  <still trembling>  :)

Thanks to all of you for your feedback and support.

--

@ 2000-07-18  2:34       ` Lloyd Zusman
From: Lloyd Zusman @ 2000-07-18  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Daniel Pittman" <daniel@danann.net> writes:

> Try moving the gnus package directory away, temporarily, and compiling.
> That should tell you if it works. Just renaming it in place will not
> work, I think.

Moving the package ... now why didn't I think of that obvious
solution *before* I nearly gave myself a heart attack? ... :)

Thanks.

--

@ 2000-07-18  4:02         ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2000-07-18  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:

> Vin Shelton <acs@alumni.princeton.edu> writes:
>
> > I believe I need the fsf-compat package to compile the latest gnus
> > from CVS, but I don't think I need fsf-compat at run-time.  I do not
> > currently have a gnus package installed.
> >
> > This is all IIRC.
> >
> > BTW, why don't you download the gnus package once via FTP, then you
> > don't have the overhead of repeatedly getting it off the network if
> > you have to re-install.
>
> Well, the last time I installed the gnus-X.YY package from the XEmacs
> archives was ages ago.  I've only installed it once.  If I uninstall
> and re-install, that means one more S-L-O-O-W download of gnus-1.45,
> whether I do an XEmacs install or I do the one-time FTP in order to
> save the package.  I'm trying to avoid even this single download,
> if at all possible.
>
> But since you say that all I'd need is fsf-compat, I've already got
> that installed.  Therefore, I'm going to take the plunge and uninsall
> gnus-1.45 and hope/wish/pray for the best.
>
> Here goes ...

if that can help, I've written an emacs like Makefile to install gnus
automagically in site-packages. the link is :

http://clefevre.citeweb.net/gnusmk.tar.gz (4KB)

unpack it in the lisp directory, then make install-package
IMHO, for Xemacs, it works better than the original Makefile.

Cyrille.
--
home:mailto:clefevre%no-spam@citeweb.net Supprimer "%no-spam" pour me repondre.
work:mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre%no-spam@edf.fr Remove "%no-spam" to answer me back.

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-19  9:38   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2000-07-19  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe.  You'd probably be better off removing the XEmacs Gnus
> install entirely, grabbing the current release tarball, unpack it,
> and run the CVS checkout over that.

What's the gain from unpacking the tarball first?  Does it have files
that are no longer in the CVS?

* Re: Is the gnus XEmacs package still necessary?
@ 2000-07-19 16:59     ` Stainless Steel Rat
From: Stainless Steel Rat @ 2000-07-19 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no>  on Wed, 19 Jul 2000
| What's the gain from unpacking the tarball first?  Does it have files
| that are no longer in the CVS?

Last time I tried the CVS, shortly before 5.8.7 went out the door, this was
the case.
--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net>    \ Happy Fun Ball contains a liquid core,
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ which, if exposed due to rupture, should