From: "Ilya N. Golubev" <gin@mo.msk.ru>
Cc: ding@gnus.org, bugs@gnus.org
Subject: Re: elisp encoding
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:12:10 +0400	[thread overview]

> I don't know why the part was modified into quoted-printable
> from 8bit, but it may be doing of MTAs.

So a standard procedure of testing mime encoding without actually
sending mail is absolutely necessary.  As requested by <mml testing>
posted to <bugs@gnus.org> on Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:21:54 +0400
(<027e40e1cf6186-gin@mo.msk.ru>).

> What Ilya and I wanted
> to say is why ShengHuo changed it so that the `CTE: 8bit' is
> used when a part contains long lines even if there's no
> non-ascii text.  I cannot find out the necessity.

Agree.  This imposes the limit of 76 octets per line on pure 7bit body
parts.

This certainly is not the processing of long lines in body parts as
specified by RFC 2045, which imposes line length limit of 998 octets,
and which concerns both 7bit and 8bit transfer encodings.

Another bug of current processing is that it may leave an 8bit body
part with lines longer than allowed by RFC 2045.  Actually observed
such a standard violation.

. Created an `.el' file containing 1 pure 7bit line of 1500 octets.

. Attached it to message.

. Evaluated `(mml-to-mime)'.