* growing nnmaildir and intolerable gnus slowness
@ 2004-08-30 22:34 David Wuertele
From: David Wuertele @ 2004-08-30 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

As my nnmaildirs grow in size, gnus gets slower and slower.
Strangely, it isn't when I enter a nnmaildir group from the Groups
page that is slow.  It is when I *quit* the nnmaildir group to go back
to the Groups page that things take forever.

I have about 5,000 messages in one maildir and 11,000 in another.  My
filesystem is ext3 (RH9).  I've included my .gnus file below.  I'm
using Oort Gnus v0.18.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

(setq gnus-verbose 9)
(setq gnus-directory "~/mail/Gnus/")
(setq gnus-kill-files-directory "~/mail/Gnus/")
(setq gnus-article-save-directory "~/mail/Gnus/")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "" (directory "~/mail/maildirs")
					(create-directory ".")
					))

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")))

(setq gnus-message-archive-method
      '(nnfolder "archive"
		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)
		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/mail/archive/active")
		 (nnfolder-directory "~/mail/archive/")))

(setq nnfolder-active-file "~/mail/archive/active")
(setq nnfolder-directory "~/mail/archive/")

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
	    "outgoing-news"
            "outgoing-mail")))

(setq gnus-use-cache t
      gnus-cacheable-groups ".*"
      gnus-uncacheable-groups "\\`nnmaildir[:+]")

(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gnus-topic-mode)
(setq gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups t)

(setq gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method 'gnus-subscribe-interactively)
(setq gnus-save-newsrc-file nil)
(setq gnus-startup-file "~/mail/.newsrc") ; dribble files and .eld files go in the same directory as .newsrc

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-qmail)
(setq message-send-mail-real-function nil)
(setq mail-user-agent 'message-user-agent)

* Re: growing nnmaildir and intolerable gnus slowness
@ 2004-09-01  9:04 ` Oystein Viggen
From: Oystein Viggen @ 2004-09-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [David Wuertele]

> As my nnmaildirs grow in size, gnus gets slower and slower.
> Strangely, it isn't when I enter a nnmaildir group from the Groups
> page that is slow.  It is when I *quit* the nnmaildir group to go back
> to the Groups page that things take forever.

I used to see this also in large nnml groups, and traced it to
gnus-summary-expire-articles.  My not-really-a-solution:

;; remember to run M-x gnus-group-expire-all-groups once in a while,
;; or no articles will ever be expired..
(remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-expire-articles)

;; I also run expire from the gnus-demon, every four hour or so:
(gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 240 t)
(gnus-demon-init)

Øystein
--
Ebg13 arire tbrf bhg bs fglyr..

* Re: growing nnmaildir and intolerable gnus slowness
@ 2004-09-03  1:50   ` David Wuertele
From: David Wuertele @ 2004-09-03  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Me> As my nnmaildirs grow in size, gnus gets slower and slower.
Me> Strangely, it isn't when I enter a nnmaildir group from the Groups
Me> page that is slow.  It is when I *quit* the nnmaildir group to go back
Me> to the Groups page that things take forever.

Øystein> I used to see this also in large nnml groups, and traced it to
Øystein> gnus-summary-expire-articles.  My not-really-a-solution:

Øystein> ;; remember to run M-x gnus-group-expire-all-groups once in a while,
Øystein> ;; or no articles will ever be expired..
Øystein> (remove-hook 'gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook 'gnus-summary-expire-articles)
Øystein> ;; I also run expire from the gnus-demon, every four hour or so:
Øystein> (gnus-demon-add-handler 'gnus-group-expire-all-groups 240 t)
Øystein> (gnus-demon-init)

I tried this and it did not have any effect.  My exit times are still
huge.

Have there been any changes to gnus since my version (Oort Gnus v0.18)
that would affect nnmaildir speed?

Dave