* Running Gnus-5.5 and qgnus-0.29
@ 1998-02-17  9:53 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 1998-02-17  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Group,

Just started using gnus agent recently on a setup where I have been
running Emacs-20.2 and Xemacs-20.3.

I am using gnus-5.5 with the Xemacs and would like to continue to do so,
as well as run qgnus-0.29 with Emacs.
Handy for comparisons etc.

Unfortunately I am not yet savvy enough with lisp code to know how to
make Xemacs ignore the phrase (gnus-agentize) in .gnus file.

I have conditioned a few other statements, in .emacs, to run only in Emacs
but only by someone elses example.  Trying to use the same technique on
(gnus-agentize), haven't been able to get it right.

Currently when I fire up Xemacs, press 'M-x gnus' it chokes on the
(gnus-agentize) in .gnus and will not run.

How would this be avoided?

Even better,  is there a way to make Xemacs use a completely different
.emacs and .gnus.  Thereby avoiding having to conditionalize things.
--

Harry Putnam  reader@newsguy.com

* Re: Running Gnus-5.5 and qgnus-0.29
@ 1998-02-17 19:13 ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1998-02-17 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Just started using gnus agent recently on a setup where I have been
> running Emacs-20.2 and Xemacs-20.3.
>
> I am using gnus-5.5 with the Xemacs and would like to continue to do so,
> as well as run qgnus-0.29 with Emacs.
[...]
> Currently when I fire up Xemacs, press 'M-x gnus' it chokes on the
> (gnus-agentize) in .gnus and will not run.
[...]
> How would this be avoided?

You could (in this particular situation) depend on:

(if (= emacs-minor-version 2)
    (gnus-agentize))

However, I'm sure there's some other way, but I never use Xemacs...

(Does anyone know how to send C-h to emacs from within Win95 F-Secure
SSH (which I believe to be way more vt100 than I really want)?)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen, Software Engineer, Mjolner Informatics ApS
lbr@mjolner.dk

* Re: Running Gnus-5.5 and qgnus-0.29
@ 1998-02-17 20:31 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1998-02-17 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam writes:

> Just started using gnus agent recently on a setup where I have been
> running Emacs-20.2 and Xemacs-20.3.

> I am using gnus-5.5 with the Xemacs and would like to continue to do so,
> as well as run qgnus-0.29 with Emacs.
> Handy for comparisons etc.

> Unfortunately I am not yet savvy enough with lisp code to know how to
> make Xemacs ignore the phrase (gnus-agentize) in .gnus file.

It is not XEmacs that you want to have ignore `gnus-agentize', but gnus
5.5.  I think that the following form in .gnus would work fine:

    (if (fboundp 'gnus-agentize) (gnus-agentize))        ; untested

> Even better,  is there a way to make Xemacs use a completely different
> .emacs and .gnus.  Thereby avoiding having to conditionalize things.

If you have a ~/.xemacs file, it will take precedence over ~/.emacs when
you run XEmacs.

In your ~/.xemacs file, this you can do this:

    (setq gnus-init-file "~/.gnus.xemacs")        ; untested

--
Colin