* Welcome to the T-Shirt Mailing List
@ 1996-07-04  6:07 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-07-04  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Didn't there use to be some discussion of newsreaders and stuff on
this mailing list?  :-)

Anyways -- they've changed how they charge for exchanging foreign
currencies into Norwegian.  Before, they took $3 per currency.  Now,
they take $3 per expidition, no matter how many different currencies
you have.  This means that you can send me whatever currency is easier
for you -- French francs, GBP, Yen, CND.  (Probably not Burkina Faso
pfenning, though.)  Just calculate how much money it's in your local
currency, round upwards to the nearest paper note (no coins, please),
and stuff the notes and your order in an envelope and send it to me.

For more ordering information, see
<URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~larsi/t-shirt/september.html>.  On
Saturday I'll be announcing the t-shirt to the world, so if you want
to be absolutely sure to get a t-shirt, you should order now(ish).
(If I get any orders after I'm sold out, I'll have to return those
orders.)

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-07-04  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Just calculate how much money it's in your local currency, round
LMI> upwards to the nearest paper note (no coins, please), and stuff the
LMI> notes and your order in an envelope and send it to me.

And in case you don't know just now many of those Norwegian-thingies a peso
is worth, go to <URL:http://www.xe.net/currency/>.

It tells me that as of Tuesday, US$ 1 is worth NKR 6.51.  Lars, you
cheating scum, you're trying to bilk us Americans out of that .01 Kroner.

BTW, Lars, does your street name really end in "rdsgt"?  I really hope a
couple of those are silent, or my prospects of speaking Norwegian to my
girlfriend's parents just went close to zilch.

 - J<

* Re: Welcome to the T-Shirt Mailing List
@ 1996-07-04  9:12   ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-07-04  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> writes:
> BTW, Lars, does your street name really end in "rdsgt"?  I really hope a
> couple of those are silent, or my prospects of speaking Norwegian to my
> girlfriend's parents just went close to zilch.

Don't worry too much (You'll have much worse problems than this :) ),
the gt is short for gatan, or whatever the silly Norwegians call their
streets.  The rds is in the same syllable as gaa.

(Weird this post looks)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen
<URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>  <URL:mailto:lars@rasmussen.org>

@ 1996-07-04 10:27     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-07-04 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Don't worry too much (You'll have much worse problems than this :) ),
> the gt is short for gatan,

"gaten"(m) eller "gata"(f).

Making "gate" be a feminine noun, and using the feminine trailing
article is seen by some (bleeding conservative southerner scum) as
rather crude.

> or whatever the silly Norwegians call their streets.

Who's silly, you said?

I'd say it's silly to
  1. not being able to understand clearly pronounciated
     (ie. no mouthpotato) Norwegian
  2. think it's Swedish

- Steinar (just back from Roskilde)

* Re: Welcome to the T-Shirt Mailing List
@ 1996-07-04 12:11       ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-07-04 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@metis.no> writes:
> > or whatever the silly Norwegians call their streets.
>
> Who's silly, you said?
>
> I'd say it's silly to
>   1. not being able to understand clearly pronounciated
>      (ie. no mouthpotato) Norwegian
>   2. think it's Swedish
>
> - Steinar (just back from Roskilde)

Roskilde is on Sealand.

I rest my case.

Lars, who was just in Stockholm yesterday, and prefer Norwegian any day.

ObGnus:

If you edit a message, and you are writing on a line above e.g. "> ",

--

@ 1996-07-04 15:30         ` Joe Wells
From: Joe Wells @ 1996-07-04 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> If you edit a message, and you are writing on a line above e.g. ">
  Lars> ", the fill-routine will do this.  Is this a Gnus or an Emacs bug?

Emacs bug.  There isn't really a good fix.  The real problem is that Emacs
needs to be told that the next line starts a new paragraph.  However, this
is context sensitive and Emacs's built-in paragraph recognizing code can't
handle this.  I remember that the "filladapt" package could deal with this
properly.

If you keep a blank line between paragraphs you will be safe.

The lame fix is to remove the ">" from adaptive-fill-regexp, but this
makes it harder to fill cited text.

I hope this helps.

--
Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu>

From: Steinar Bang @ 1996-07-05  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> ObGnus:

> If you edit a message, and you are writing on a line above e.g. "> ",
>> the fill-routine will do this.  Is this a Gnus or an Emacs bug?

I thought that was a supercite feature...?  Saw it first appear in
19.30.  It appears in more than Gnus.  I've seen it in the mail
compose modes of mh-e and RMAIL, as well

* Re: Welcome to the T-Shirt Mailing List
@ 1996-07-05 10:21           ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-07-05 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > If you edit a message, and you are writing on a line above e.g. "> ",
> >> the fill-routine will do this.  Is this a Gnus or an Emacs bug?
>
> I thought that was a supercite feature...?  Saw it first appear in
> 19.30.  It appears in more than Gnus.  I've seen it in the mail
> compose modes of mh-e and RMAIL, as well

I don't use supercite, so it's more general than that.  Pretty annoying,
even if you do pay attention to the problem.  We don't want to appear
like a top-down perversion of Mozilla-users.

From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-07-08 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Joe Wells <jbw@cs.bu.edu> wrote:

>   Lars> If you edit a message, and you are writing on a line above e.g. ">
>   Lars> ", the fill-routine will do this.  Is this a Gnus or an Emacs bug?
>
> Emacs bug.  There isn't really a good fix.  The real problem is that Emacs
> needs to be told that the next line starts a new paragraph.  However, this
> is context sensitive and Emacs's built-in paragraph recognizing code can't
> handle this.  I remember that the "filladapt" package could deal with this
> properly.

I have the problem when using filladapt with Emacs 19.29 (or 19.30) and
later. I don't seem to remember having it using filladapt and earlier emacs
versions, so maybe filladapt is using the paragraph recognizing code of
emacs? (It's possible I updated filladapt versions in there somewhere too).

If anyone knows how to fix it for filladapt 2.08 (which is what I'm using
right now) and Emacs 19.30+, I'd appreciate hearing about it. I wonder if
there is some way to tweak things so that if point is at end-of-line, then
treat it as end-of-paragraph too...ehhh...maybe not...oh well...

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org