* Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1996-12-10 10:38 James Albert Kanze
From: James Albert Kanze @ 1996-12-10 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

The header says it all.  I created a server named extern, type nnspool,
to use a local spool (loaded by incoming email).  I now want to change
the location of the files in the hierarchy.  Moving the tree and the
active file were no problem, but when I try and edit the server (command
e in the server buffer), I get the response: server cannot be edited.

I can get around this easily by deleting the server, then creating a new
one with the same parameters, but why can I not edit the server from the
server buffer?

--
James Kanze         home:     kanze@gabi-soft.fr        +33 (0)3 88 14 49 00
                    office:   kanze@vx.cit.alcatel.fr   +33 (0)1 69 63 14 54

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1996-12-10 10:48 ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1996-12-10 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  James> I can get around this easily by deleting the server, then
  James> creating a new one with the same parameters, but why can I
  James> not edit the server from the server buffer?

I've been bitten by that, too.  Seems like you can only edit servers
that are closed, so you need to `C' (or is it `D'?) the server first.

hth,
kai
--
I wonder why nobody don't like me,
or is it de fact dat I'm ugly? -- Harry Belafonte

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1996-12-10 11:04   ` James Albert Kanze
From: James Albert Kanze @ 1996-12-10 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

|>  >>>>> James Albert Kanze writes:
|>
|>    James> I can get around this easily by deleting the server, then
|>    James> creating a new one with the same parameters, but why can I
|>    James> not edit the server from the server buffer?
|>
|>  I've been bitten by that, too.  Seems like you can only edit servers
|>  that are closed, so you need to `C' (or is it `D'?) the server first.

I tried both.  They effectively changed the status (which was denied to
begin with, since I had already moved the files).  I still get the
message "this server can't be edited".  (Another question is: where are
these commands documented?)

--

@ 1996-12-11  0:28 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
       [not found]   ` <tx1n2uqmhdn.fsf@cygnus.com>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-11  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Albert Kanze <james-albert.kanze@vx.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:

> The header says it all.  I created a server named extern, type nnspool,
> to use a local spool (loaded by incoming email).  I now want to change
> the location of the files in the hierarchy.  Moving the tree and the
> active file were no problem, but when I try and edit the server (command
> e in the server buffer), I get the response: server cannot be edited.

You should be able to edit all servers that you have defined in the
server buffer, but other servers can't be edited in the same way.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-11  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Albert Kanze <james-albert.kanze@vx.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:

>  (Another question is: where are these commands documented?)

"(gnus)The Server Buffer".

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1996-12-11  8:52   ` James Albert Kanze
                       ` (2 more replies)
       [not found]   ` <tx1n2uqmhdn.fsf@cygnus.com>
From: James Albert Kanze @ 1996-12-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

|>  You should be able to edit all servers that you have defined in the
|>  server buffer, but other servers can't be edited in the same way.

and

|>  You should be able to edit all servers that you have defined in the
|>  server buffer, but other servers can't be edited in the same way.

Neither of the above is true on my system.  I'm running GNUS v5.3; is
this the latest (official) version?  (As I'm not system manager here, I
can't upgrade if it isn't, so I'm really just curious.  And GNUS
wouldn't be the only software that is not up-to-date here.)

--

@ 1996-12-11  9:24     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-12-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Albert Kanze <james-albert.kanze@vx.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:

> I'm running GNUS v5.3; is this the latest (official) version?

Yes.

>(As I'm not system manager here, I can't upgrade if it isn't, so I'm
> really just curious.  And GNUS wouldn't be the only software that is
> not up-to-date here.)

Installing Gnus on your own is really simple:

unpack:
	zcat rgnus-0.74.tar.gz | tar xfv -

make:
	cd rgnus-0.74; make; cd

install:
	echo '(setq load-path (cons "~/rgnus-0.74/lisp" load-path))' >> .emacs

I hope alcatel doesn't put small quotas on their developers.

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1996-12-11  9:40     ` Lars Balker Rasmussen
From: Lars Balker Rasmussen @ 1996-12-11  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

James Albert Kanze <james-albert.kanze@vx.cit.alcatel.fr> writes:
> I'm running GNUS v5.3; is this the latest (official) version?

No, 5.2.40 is, but 5.3 is probably fairly close (5.3 is the GNU-Emacs
only version of Gnus 5.2)

> (As I'm not system manager here, I can't upgrade if it isn't, so I'm
> really just curious.

Yes you can.  Just get 5.2.40 off Lars' site, unpack it, type make, and
put the following in your .emacs:

(setq load-path (cons "/home/jak/path-to-gnus/lisp" load-path))

Really easy :)

> And GNUS wouldn't be the only software that is not up-to-date here.)

Well, you use Emacs 19.34, and you can't get much more up-to-date than
that :)
--
Lars Balker Rasmussen                   <URL:http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~gnort/>

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-12-16 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

       [not found]       ` <tx1wwtran5n.fsf@cygnus.com>
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-07 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> > Not necessarily -- only the virtual server name {sh,c}ould be listed
> > with each group from that server.
>
> Is this because it's one of my select methods?  It is still supposed
> to happen for servers defined through the server buffer?

All groups that belong to servers have have names are supposed to
carry just the name of the server in the group info; not the complete
server definition.  There was a bug in this area before, but I think
it was fixed some time early on in Red Gnus.

@ 1997-01-07 19:04           ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-01-07 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> All groups that belong to servers have have names are supposed to
> carry just the name of the server in the group info; not the complete
> server definition.  There was a bug in this area before, but I think
> it was fixed some time early on in Red Gnus.

Er.  Well--it may not be entirely fixed.  In my copy (0.76), I have
several groups with that info in them.  The ones that have the
parameters have been created since I set parameters in the group.
Formerly, I had set the parameters globally.

Here's an example:

("nnml:hwg.ops" 3 ((1 . 5) 7) nil (nnml "" (nnml-directory
                                            "/usr/visigoth/Mail/")

("nnml:from.akk" 1 ((1 . 37)) ((reply 36)) (nnml ""))

The first is a group created after adding the nnml-directory
parameter.  The second is from before.

John.

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1997-01-07 20:24             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-07 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Er.  Well--it may not be entirely fixed.  In my copy (0.76), I have
> several groups with that info in them.  The ones that have the
> parameters have been created since I set parameters in the group.

Uhm -- did you edit the server in the server buffer?

@ 1997-01-08  6:36               ` visigoth
From: visigoth @ 1997-01-08  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> Uhm -- did you edit the server in the server buffer?

No--this is s secondary method.  I edited it in my .gnus.  Should I
edit it in the server buffer?  (This doesn't seem possible, since it
complains of a read-only server.)

John.

* Re: Why can a server not be edited?
@ 1997-01-09 10:51                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1997-01-09 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

visigoth@naiad.fac.cs.cmu.edu writes:

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:
>
> > Uhm -- did you edit the server in the server buffer?
>
> No--this is s secondary method.  I edited it in my .gnus.

Right.  The problem here is that Gnus doesn't know what the name of
the server is before you give it a name.  It's probably a bug, so I've
put it on the todo list.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen